Average life of a cable modem?

Route44

I have been have issues with my cable modem suddenly shutting down and then resetting itself. I am thinking it is time to replace the one I have that is at least 7 years old. What is the average life span of a modem?

Perhaps it's overheating a bit due to dust build-up? I have a DSL modem/router combo and it's pretty warm. Since taking it apart is a bit of a pain, I use compress air & vacuum cleaner on it from time to time.

7 years does sound long, so might be better to replace it and give yourself the peace of mind.

Older cable modems were much hotter than many of the newer ones. Seven years is a long time, however, some have lasted longer.

Try unplugging it and remove and replace the cable at least 3 times, and If you have a CAT cable running to the computer do the same to it at both the modem and computer; make sure the modem is unplugged and the computer turned off before you do this.

Edit:

If you continue to have trouble, call your cable modem and ask for a tech to come to your house and check the modem, and while he is there, have him check the cable from the street to your house. If your cable company does not want to do this, tell them you will get another supplier.

If you cannot get a different cable or DSL supplier, ask the cable company if you can purchase your own modem, and take your monthly modem charge off your bill.

7 years is about the same time when mine started getting flaky.

I was about to blame my ISP for my internet problems and insist they come out to check my line. But decided to buy/try a new modem first. And son-of-a-gun turned out the cable modem was my problem. Everything's fine since I replaced it.

Well guys thanks for the recent replies but I want you to know that I did replace it in December of 2011. ;)

Don't forget the provider resets the device for programming updates .... Aka it can be expected from time to time

7 years is about the same time when mine started getting flaky.

I was about to blame my ISP for my internet problems and insist they come out to check my line. But decided to buy/try a new modem first. And son-of-a-gun turned out the cable modem was my problem. Everything's fine since I replaced it.
well alot of dsl modem routers offered up by att/sbc/yahoo from 2wire , motorola would die after 7 months that went on for years.. 7 years sounds like a giood life.. most comp components die from heat so the cooler and the cleaner you keep them the longer they should live.

Back