AVG Free 11 - can't install

BergerBerger

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. I was running AVG Free 10 perfectly happily, and it prompted me to upgrade to 11. Why not, I thought?

So went through installation, then it said finally machine needs to re-boot to complete installation. Did this, but PC froze in re-boot, wouldn't respond to keyboard, mouse, power button, nothing. Had to turn off at power socket, which I hate doing.

Anyway, PC working ok today, but AVG came up not installed, saying "you need to re-start your machine to complete AVG installation". Done that twice, same message comes up.

Tried to download free from cnet, it runs through the installation, but then the same error message comes up - so I'm left unprotected at the moment. Does anyone have any solution!?! I'd prefer to continue with AVG Free as I know it.

Try using System Restore and restore to a point before you tried to update AVG. Once there you can try to update AVG again if you want.

If you can’t restore the system as above, try uninstalling AVG completely using a specialized tool, and then re-install fresh.

If everything fails, just use another free AV, such as AVAST! or AVIRA. They are probably better than AVG anyway and easy to use, you’ll learn them in no time flat.

There is a further advantage in using a new AV in that it will find old malware missed by the previous one.

I got it installed eventually. AVG's own site had some more in-depth uninstall links (that I only found by googling) (so it's obviously been a common problem), then downloaded it from filehippo, seems to be working ok.

Don't think AVG 9 means you're necessarily at risk, as long as you're still getting database updates from AVG, but of course they will stop supporting it at some point!

Back