Avira will no longer update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazrim

This just started happening today: Every morning I run Avira's updater to keep it up to snuff. Well I noticed yesterday Avira took almost 3 minutes to connect and update its files. Today, however, Avira will no longer update at all, giving me a Winini Library error after attempting to update for over 4 minutes. I also noticed that starting my rig now takes over 5 minutes, with processor resources running at near 100% during that time, and my HD is now HEAVILY accessed during this period. Startup usually only takes 3 minutes maximum.

I have run the preliminary steps, and have attached the log files here. Hopefully I won't have to nuke my drive. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me from here. :)

You should actually install Avast and give it a try while you wait for one of the malware guys to look at your logs.
I know I have personally recommended Avira in the past, and it is good, I just don't like the popups that come with it and I find Avast to be perfect.

Ok thanks, I'll check it out. I know that certain free antivirus / Anti-spyware programs I've had in the past interfere with the online games I've played, and after playing the Aion beta recently, I found that Spybot:S&D's TeaTimer does NOT like Aion at all, so I had to get rid of it. I'll give it a go and see though.

Hmmm, so did I post something wrong? Been over a week, and no one replied to this. I would really like to be able to update my anti virus software, and get rid of what ever's getting in its way.

If everything else fails, read the annoucements!

Hopefully I won't have to nuke my drive.
Before you take drastic action due to a problem arising, it’s advisable to visit the supplier’s site, because there is often an announcement about it.

In this case, Avira informed that there is a widespread updating problem, because "update server is under high utilization".

Now, this does not rid Avira of its responsibilities, nor does it improve the performance of its product. But it does relieve users’ anxiety about a possible problem on their site and saves them much witch hunting, even possible damage to their system while trying to repair it.

By the way, updating has resumed again normally this morning, it’s morning where I am, so try again if you still have Antivir - and haven't nuked your system. :)

Let’s hope they’ve learned a lesson for the future.

Wow, thanks for the heads up Bobcat, I'm truly glad I decided to wait for a bit more info before nuking my drive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back