Awful feedback coming from speakers

josbd

Hey all

My I-trigue speakers gave up the ghost the other day, so I bought a 2nd hand set of Creative A250 2.1 speakers from ebay for ten quid. These arrived this morning. I unboxed them to discover they were brand new: all the original packing, sticky labels, and box itself untouched. Impressed, I wired them up, plugged them in.... result was appalling. Deep hum as soon as I switched the speakers on by their rotating on/off/vol switch located on the right hand speaker. I have ensured all are correctly connected; checked the volume levels; ensured there is plenty of space between speakers etc to no avail. This kicks off immediately the speakers are switched on at the lowest possible volume.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I am running an Alienware X51.

If you have a microphone connected, disconnect it or disable it and see what happens. If that isn't the problem, return the speakers.

No mic connected... dammit. Thought there would be a solution other than having to return them. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

GAH! Thanks Clifford.
Haha, I resemble that remark. lol

I was really expecting them not to hum, and was thinking it may have been the PC creating the hum. As it is, I'm now thinking it is line noise from the wall outlet. Noise that the speaker's power supply is not filtering. But then I'm not ruling out a bad speaker either.

Haha, I resemble that remark. lol

I was really expecting them not to hum, and was thinking it may have been the PC creating the hum. As it is, I'm now thinking it is line noise from the wall outlet. Noise that the speaker's power supply is not filtering. But then I'm not ruling out a bad speaker either.
Heheheh.. My work here is done!

Speakers are plugged into a Belkin surge protected extension, the same one the originals were... and is now powering a pair of plastic Argos specials now.

So regrettably.... s return is on the cards sadly.

Thank you both for the advice!

Jo.

Back