Back up software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenateKT

I have a file server and an exchange box that are both currently only being backed up using windows backup utility. I am looking to upgrade to an affordable software solution. What software would be recommended to schedule effective backups on both my server and exchange box both running windows server 2003? I'm not looking to spend an outrageous amount and I'm looking for something simple and effective.

Acronis true image is the best around. I use it on a client's server. It takes an image of the server you can in case of disaster restore the image onto different hardware based server, so you are up and running in a couple of hours at the most. You can restore individual files. Our server backs up in 3 hours. The only downside is that it doesn't work very well with tapes for some reason. We have the image backed up by an online backup company, so there is always an image offsite and one onsite on an external drive ready to be booted from. It's really easy to use. I used veritas before but if a disaster happens it takes days to restore the server and data. Imaging is the way to go in my opinion. Hope that helps. GlitzyGirl

I agree with glitzygirl on using imaging for backups. I use Norton Ghost to copy an image of my disk to an external drive and it works well. I believe that they have a server version of it, too, but have not used it myself.

You can actually download a trial version I think. I find it brilliant, within minutes I have any file retrieved and the files are there. Unlike tapes, I have found that the file is there but it's empty! You boot your server with the recovery CD and point to where the image is and it does the rest of the work for you. Can't get better than that! No software to re-install, no server to re-build. Very simple and straight forward to use.
Glitzy Girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back