backing up data and programs on xp

By spanky
Jul 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi. I have a bunch of programs that came with the computer but that I don't have the discs for(I think) like the nero suite. If I wanted to backup data on my drive and also backup those programs, what are my choices? IS there way to do it short of backing up the entire drive? I have the nero backup program and obviously the xp backup utility.

tia.
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

You cna back up data by using nero. but you cannot "backup" programs that are installed witout making a back up of the entire drive. to be able to back up the programs you need to have the install file which would be an .exe
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

If you're looking for a complete backup in case of disaster, a drive imaging program such as Acronis Trueimage would be a great solution... As long as you have a 2nd hard drive or partition that's roughly about the size of the one with your programs.

If you don't have a drive or partition, an external drive is cheap.

If you're looking to just backup your programs for some reason, there's not a good way to do it other than imaging your entire drive. You can always copy the folders somewhere else, but programs often install files, services & libraries outside of their folders and have settings elsewhere (like the Windows registry). This is especially true with complex programs like Office and Anti-virus software.
  4. spanky

spanky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 41

Thanks for the replies, folks. I figured that's the sort of answer I would get. I just wasn't sure.
    Probably what I'm gonna do is get an older computer, network it through my dsl modem/router and throw linux on it.
    This may be worthy of a whole other thread, but I'll ask it anyway :) : Could I backup my windows data to a networked drive running linux? Could the backed up data go right on the linux file system or would I need to create a separate NTFS partition for it? This might be more of a linux question, so I'm sorry if it is.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.