backing up data and programs on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky

Hi. I have a bunch of programs that came with the computer but that I don't have the discs for(I think) like the nero suite. If I wanted to backup data on my drive and also backup those programs, what are my choices? IS there way to do it short of backing up the entire drive? I have the nero backup program and obviously the xp backup utility.

tia.

You cna back up data by using nero. but you cannot "backup" programs that are installed witout making a back up of the entire drive. to be able to back up the programs you need to have the install file which would be an .exe

spanky said:
Hi. I have a bunch of programs that came with the computer but that I don't have the discs for(I think) like the nero suite. If I wanted to backup data on my drive and also backup those programs, what are my choices? IS there way to do it short of backing up the entire drive? I have the nero backup program and obviously the xp backup utility.

tia.

If you're looking for a complete backup in case of disaster, a drive imaging program such as Acronis Trueimage would be a great solution... As long as you have a 2nd hard drive or partition that's roughly about the size of the one with your programs.

If you don't have a drive or partition, an external drive is cheap.

If you're looking to just backup your programs for some reason, there's not a good way to do it other than imaging your entire drive. You can always copy the folders somewhere else, but programs often install files, services & libraries outside of their folders and have settings elsewhere (like the Windows registry). This is especially true with complex programs like Office and Anti-virus software.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I figured that's the sort of answer I would get. I just wasn't sure.
Probably what I'm gonna do is get an older computer, network it through my dsl modem/router and throw linux on it.
This may be worthy of a whole other thread, but I'll ask it anyway :) : Could I backup my windows data to a networked drive running linux? Could the backed up data go right on the linux file system or would I need to create a separate NTFS partition for it? This might be more of a linux question, so I'm sorry if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back