TechSpot

Backup for voip\cable modem and router

By swker98
Aug 18, 2008
  1. Hi, i was wondering a good long term backup (3+ hours) for my router and voip cable modem, i was wondering if i could just use a UPS or if there was something else i could use

thanks

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

UPS is usually good for ~1hr. Getting to 3hrs? Why so long?

3. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,077

power outage could last a while just wondering if anything could get that long of backup since the router and modem dont draw that much power i was thinking i could get a few hours

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

A UPS operates as an inverter: converts low voltage DC into high voltage AC.

Even at a current draw of just a few milliamps, the UPS will exhaust the battery in a relatively short time.

Usually, we protect the expensive equipment or that which has precious data, not printers, monitors or networking devices.

5. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,077

any other longer term solutions for this?

6. bubbah

bubbah TS Rookie

Would there be anyone willing to tackle this issue now that yrs have passed ?? I need something to carry the modem/router/ata all of which are low wattage ...something long lasting would be good ...low cost would be a plus!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.