TechSpot

Backup for voip\cable modem and router

By swker98
Aug 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, i was wondering a good long term backup (3+ hours) for my router and voip cable modem, i was wondering if i could just use a UPS or if there was something else i could use

thanks

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

UPS is usually good for ~1hr. Getting to 3hrs? Why so long?

3. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,348

power outage could last a while just wondering if anything could get that long of backup since the router and modem dont draw that much power i was thinking i could get a few hours

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

A UPS operates as an inverter: converts low voltage DC into high voltage AC.

Even at a current draw of just a few milliamps, the UPS will exhaust the battery in a relatively short time.

Usually, we protect the expensive equipment or that which has precious data, not printers, monitors or networking devices.

5. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,348

any other longer term solutions for this?

6. bubbah

bubbah TS Rookie

Would there be anyone willing to tackle this issue now that yrs have passed ?? I need something to carry the modem/router/ata all of which are low wattage ...something long lasting would be good ...low cost would be a plus!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.