Backup Now! corrupted files

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has an Intel processor, pentium III (933mhz), 512 MB of RAM, rumnning WindowsXP SP2.

I have been using the backup program Backup Now! for a couple of years with no problems. (Backup Now! is produced by NewTech Infosystems, or NTI).

The URL for Backup Now! is:
http://www.ntius.com/default.asp?p=backupnow/bun_main

Anyway, all of a sudden my backup files have become corrupted. The backed up files have the extension NBF.

Whenever I try to open a backed up file using the Backup Now! program, I get a message that says "Invalid Backup File". It appears thatmy *.nbf backup files are corrupted. The Backup Now! program will not open the file.

I already contacted NTI, and they were no help at all. They told me that they do not have a software tool that will repair *.nbf files. They did not have any other suggestions.

Other than not being able to open them, my backed up files appear to be normal. The backup files are the correct size, I believe that all of my data is still in the backup file, its just that the Backup Now! program will not open the file.

The Windows XP chkdsk program will not repair the files; neither will the Windows 98 scandisk program.

Does anyone know of a program that can repair *.nbf files? Or, at least maybe there is a program that can extract my data from the corrupted *.nbf files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jim Adams

I'm unaware of any such utilities, although I did look for you. :(

It's highly probable that NTI uses their own proprietary image format to backup your data. In this case, it will be next to impossible to get it back without NTI's help.

I suppose its possible something (i.e. Virus) simply changed the extension.
Try this:

Open My Computer, click [Tools],[Folder Options],[View]
Clear the checkbox (uncheck) "Hide extensions for known file types"
Then simply rename the file with the proper extension.

Make sure you check "Hide extensions for known file types" again if you don't want to have to type the extension every time you save or rename files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back