Backup / Restore to a Raid 0 Array

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am venturing into the Raid world and I was hoping I could have some questions answered before I make that leap.

My first question is backing up and restoring a Raid 0 array. Since Norton Ghost will view the array as a single hard drive, it should backup the array just fine; but how about restoring it back to a Raid 0 setup? Is there a way to use the restore feature on Norton Ghost to completely restore the image onto a Raid 0 array if one of the hard drives fail? If so, how can I get my motherboard to recognize the Raid 0 configuration and allow me to restore the image? And if that is possible, can I restore an image of my current single hard drive onto a Raid 0 array if I add a second drive in Raid 0 configuration?

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB and an IDE Maxtor 300Gb 16Mb Cache drive. I have recently purchased a second of the same size and cache HDD and I am wanting to make this into a Raid 0 setup. I would rather not have to reinstall Windows, especially since I just did a few months ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, some more info that may be of some help… I did not load Raid drivers during the Windows XP Pro installation; however, I did load the drivers in the Device Manager within Windows. Is that the same as if I were to load it during the Windows installation?

Ghost does not support fakeraid. Unless you have a $500 true hardware RAID controller, then you can forget about it - you will only be able to use Ghost from within Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back