TechSpot

Backup / Restore to a Raid 0 Array

By psycho19
Feb 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am venturing into the Raid world and I was hoping I could have some questions answered before I make that leap.

My first question is backing up and restoring a Raid 0 array. Since Norton Ghost will view the array as a single hard drive, it should backup the array just fine; but how about restoring it back to a Raid 0 setup? Is there a way to use the restore feature on Norton Ghost to completely restore the image onto a Raid 0 array if one of the hard drives fail? If so, how can I get my motherboard to recognize the Raid 0 configuration and allow me to restore the image? And if that is possible, can I restore an image of my current single hard drive onto a Raid 0 array if I add a second drive in Raid 0 configuration?

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB and an IDE Maxtor 300Gb 16Mb Cache drive. I have recently purchased a second of the same size and cache HDD and I am wanting to make this into a Raid 0 setup. I would rather not have to reinstall Windows, especially since I just did a few months ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, some more info that may be of some help… I did not load Raid drivers during the Windows XP Pro installation; however, I did load the drivers in the Device Manager within Windows. Is that the same as if I were to load it during the Windows installation?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Ghost does not support fakeraid. Unless you have a $500 true hardware RAID controller, then you can forget about it - you will only be able to use Ghost from within Windows.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.