TechSpot

Bacteria might communicate using radio waves

By Archean
Apr 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Wow, that is creepy. Its hard to imagine though, but lets hope it provides for a decent break through to combat the worst diseases.

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 5,682   +86

Yup, but on a lighter note, wouldn't it be nice if we could communicate like that? Then I guess we wouldn't have (or need) any 'smart phones' or mobile phones for that matter.

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Yeah, that would be rather awesome! :D

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Communicate??
    some have their own column.
    [​IMG]

5. Archean

Okay ..... so does that mean they will one day evolve into some intelligent life form which can simply radio-talk/column sharing experiences with other and take over the world ...... arrr I mean humans.

But one thing, I wonder if we can use the same 'radio communication' technique and program them to get rid of all 'un-wanted people', e.g. pliticians?

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

I think that would need to wait for the development of the tractor beam.

7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 736   +244

Does that mean you can confused them by lying down and putting a radio on your chest?

8. Archean

Even if your radio emit signals which tells them to 'join it' I am not sure this technique will fool them forever, on the contrary, they may end up having a 'more powerful radio transmitter' to communicate.

9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

That's scary! Or just plain cool... If bacteria can communicate using radio, then it could mean our cells communicate using radio as well!

Sh**, I don't want any hackers trying to hack my physiological appearance...

Also, this may also lead to some interesting discoveries regarding "Are cellular electro-magnetic fields dangerous?" - if cells really do communicate using radio, then the EM-fields might just upset the natural balance of things. Or so I think...

10. Archean

@Loka
    Not just physiological apperance, infact the possibilities are endless then, and I wouldn't want to go there :D

11. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Yeah, kind of what I ever so slightly indicated with "the natural order of things" :eek:
    Don't want no cellular hacker altering "my physiological appearance" ;)