Bad driver install BSOD on startup

By ipractice
Nov 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. My wireless card has been acting strangely lately so I tried to install the new driver from Intel's website. As soon as I installed it (during the installation process) I got a BSOD. Now every time I turn on my laptop it is extremely sluggish, and gives me a BSOD within 2 minutes of Windows startup.

Everything works fine in safe mode, including the wireless (after installing a different driver from my laptop manufacture's website). But I can't start up in regular mode without the laptop freezing up and giving me BSOD.

I'm fairly certain it's this faulty driver that is causing the issue. I have never overclocked at all, but my laptop did suffer from a overheating incident which was never really addressed by Sony mechanics.

Here is a link to my minidump:

I tried to attach it but it said the file was over the limit.
  2. Jonathan King

Jonathan King TS Rookie Posts: 128

The dump does not point to anything specific, unfortunately. Just a generic BSOD, as far as I am concerned.

Your Intel WiFI drivers are a version or two out of date:
    NETwNs64.sys Wed Jul 14 07:42:54 2010 (4C3DA2BE)
    I suspect you can find some more recent ones. Download the latest ones, and then uninstall your current ones in Device Manager.

Reboot, then install the ones you downloaded.

Now I see you have SPTD running:
    a8kt92pl.SYS Tue Jul 14 17:12:55 2009 (4A5CF4D7) -- a driver dynamically allocated by SPTD
    sptd.sys     Sun Oct 11 16:55:14 2009 (4AD24632)
    I have seen SPTD cause a machine to get incredibly slow, like you are describing. In addition, I have seen SPTD cause hundreds of BSODs, literally. I could provide perhaps a dozen links if asked.

Remove Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, or whatever similar program you are using. Those program use SPTD. When you're done, remove SPTD with this tool:

How has your wireless card been acting up? I see no anti-virus program running, so that makes me a bit nervous. I recommend downloading Microsoft Security Essentials, and then immediately running a scan.

Finally, I recommend a system restore if these steps are not productive.

Summary of the Dumps:
    Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
    Debug session time: Sun Oct 31 21:03:16.669 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:01:07.198
    BugCheck 51, {1, fffff8a000024010, 190b000, 374}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string'+9b6a )
    BUGCHECK_STR:  0x51
    PROCESS_NAME:  services.exe
  3. ipractice

ipractice TS Rookie Topic Starter

Unfortunately I shut off system restore long ago to conserve space due to the fact that my laptop only has a 128gb ssd hdd. I can't get into my normal windows so trying to uninstall any programs in safe mode is a no go.

I have had a anti virus program running, panda tools, but only recently. My wifi kept cutting off before but it was a known issue with my laptop driver. One day the wifi wouldn't turn on at all so I tried to update the driver and this happened.

Now I can't even make it to the windows screen, after login my laptop automatically shuts down.
  4. Jonathan King

Jonathan King TS Rookie Posts: 128

Try booting up in Safe Mode.

If you can, uninstall your networking drivers, and then reboot into normal mode.

While you're there, check in C:\Windows\Minidump, and see if there are any .dmp files. If there are, boot up in Safe Mode with Networking, and upload them to us.