Bad HDD? Windows XP won't Install

By MOONDOG
Aug 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having an issue with installing Windows. My Windows would blue screen on me right as I would press the log in button every time (mentioning it in case it helps).
    Basically now I'm trying to reinstall windows, but it seems to be stuck in a loop. When I run the setup it recognizes my C drive as being unformatted. So I format it, and it restarts preparing to start the actual install of Windows. But at the restart it will just return to the original setup screen, not recognizing a formatted HDD. I've tried formatting a few times and its just looping.

I'm booting from CD, then C in bios. I've tried a couple XP cd's. The jumper settings are correct on the HDD. The drive is only a year old. (they do die though =( )

You guys think I'm looking at a bad HDD?

Thanks,
    Cory
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. MOONDOG

MOONDOG Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 20

hrrm

Yay! I found the issue. It was simple, I just wasn't thinking. Thanks for the reply kimsland =). I do have a question though... windows has crashed on me more than once. Any1 know a good HDD and ram tester prog?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

5. MOONDOG

MOONDOG Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 20

Awesome =). Thanks for your time Kimsland. As always you guys at techspot are so helpful. Much appreciated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.