Bad image error on Vista startup

By rjmontalvo
Nov 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Whenever I boot my laptop I get a couple Bad Image errors some at random but always at boot up I get:

C:\Windows\system32\atiumdva.dll

and also get a: Failed to load CommonRes.dll at boot. I've recently cleared a malware infestation on one of the other forums and still having problems with the OS.

Whenever I try to run an update ito Service Pack 2 the installation times out.

Any ideas on what might be up?
  2. superty12

superty12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 432

Try a repair install: You put in the Windows XP CD/DVD (if you're lucky, you'll have one) and boot from it. At the second R option, press R. Follow instructions. If you do it right, it won't erase anything. Disclaimer: I do not accept any responsibility for anything that may happen. Use the info at your own risk!
  3. rjmontalvo

rjmontalvo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Unfortunately I do not currently have a Vista Disc. I've reinstalled in the past off of the partition Gateway provides on HD but do not currently have a disc. Is there anyway to get it repaired through Vista?

Thanks for the reply btw.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.