Bad lag after reformatting hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have recently had to change my hard drive after i had problems with rebooting my pc. I have inserted a completely new hard drive and loaded a new windows XP operating system. The computer loads up fine but gets bad lag spikes when there are sounds playing along with other stuff running ie internet explorer and the sound still sometimes lags even if the system is idle. i have downloaded all the up to date drivers for the sound card, cd rom and motherboard but i still get the lag spikes, also the cpu usage when idle is still running at around 15% and spikes to around 50-60% when i do something small like open my documents.
I seem to have tried everything but still cant get to the bottom of this, could anyone please help?

Have you applied all the XP updates? Did you change anything in the motherboards bios? What make and model hard drive was the old drive, new drive? Is the new drive PATA or SATA?

yes i applied all the XP updates, did'nt change anything in the BIOS, the old drive was a seagate 160gb SATA and the new one is a 250gb Maxtor IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back