TechSpot

Bad ports or bad flash drives?

By raraujo1989
Oct 17, 2008
  1. ok so i built a frankenstein computer with my older brothers old computer and when i put them in my case the usb ports dont work except for when i plug my mouse in

i put in two of my flash drives to test to see if the ports worked and they didnt and now my flash drives dont work on any computer (oh i had also plugged in my brothers ipod cause i forgot the ports didnt work and my brothers ipod no longer works in any computer either)

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

did you install usb drivers? have you tested the usb lines to ensure they have voltage? Have you tested the PSU with a tester tool and multimeter? Are the USB ports plugged into the mobo correctly?

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Please try to recover your Flash Drive using this tool (and probably in another computer)

HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility
    Http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/peripherals/SP27608.exe

Will format any USB flash drive
    It can be known to recover Flash drives that are un-responsive too.

-----

By the way, yes USB ports can be the first things to go on a Motherboard

4. raraujo1989

raraujo1989 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok one i did install drivers problem consisted
    i went to mobo's site and donwloaded drivers from there no dice
    i uninstalled the usb drivers powere off then powered on xp reinstalled drivers but nothin still
    then i reinstalled xp and updated every kind of driver i could think of and then updated to service pack 2 which i was told would auto install drivers for usb and still nothin
    oh i accidently also updated to service pack 3 like a week after
    the ports are connected correctly i had other people check my junk just to make sure

and that other stuff you said i have no idea how to check that stuff and dont have those tools or meters you named

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.