Bad ports or bad flash drives?

By raraujo1989
Oct 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok so i built a frankenstein computer with my older brothers old computer and when i put them in my case the usb ports dont work except for when i plug my mouse in

i put in two of my flash drives to test to see if the ports worked and they didnt and now my flash drives dont work on any computer (oh i had also plugged in my brothers ipod cause i forgot the ports didnt work and my brothers ipod no longer works in any computer either)
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

did you install usb drivers? have you tested the usb lines to ensure they have voltage? Have you tested the PSU with a tester tool and multimeter? Are the USB ports plugged into the mobo correctly?
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Please try to recover your Flash Drive using this tool (and probably in another computer)

HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility
    Http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/peripherals/SP27608.exe

Will format any USB flash drive
    It can be known to recover Flash drives that are un-responsive too.

-----

By the way, yes USB ports can be the first things to go on a Motherboard
  4. raraujo1989

raraujo1989 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ok one i did install drivers problem consisted
    i went to mobo's site and donwloaded drivers from there no dice
    i uninstalled the usb drivers powere off then powered on xp reinstalled drivers but nothin still
    then i reinstalled xp and updated every kind of driver i could think of and then updated to service pack 2 which i was told would auto install drivers for usb and still nothin
    oh i accidently also updated to service pack 3 like a week after
    the ports are connected correctly i had other people check my junk just to make sure

and that other stuff you said i have no idea how to check that stuff and dont have those tools or meters you named
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.