TechSpot

Bad times lead to more scams

By jobeard
Dec 31, 2008
Post New Reply
  1. Recently I've been getting a rash of phone solicitation or outright attempts at extortion,
    so I Thought you might like to have some tools to defend yourself too.

First, blocking anonymous caller id is a feature that forces the caller to enable caller-id
    which then can be recognized at your end. Doesn't work 100% of the time as some get through
    as 'out-of-area', 'unknown', or even just 'California'. But even then, at least
    the phone number is visible and the area code is a big tip-off :)

Second, use call screening feature on your answering machine -- you get to listen without
    picking up the phone. If it's Mom or your boy/girl friend just pickup. Otherwise, the solicitators are forced to leave a message -- ligit businesses will but bogus callers never do :)

Third, (you'll love this), Google is your friend -- just enter the phone number of the offender -- you'll get a list of users complaining re that number.

typical sites supporting these complaints are

both have a direct lookup capability

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 TS Rookie Posts: 210

Thanks for the links. Maybe now I can get a little late night payback.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.