Bad_pool_header, Irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

valindria

Hello, new here.

I'm having a severe issue with my gaming machine. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, I could be letting the machine idle; and it'll restart suddenly. I don't quite recall how to pull up the minidump file, but it's to the point where my machine reboots itself many times a day and I can't determine how best to repair whatever the problem is. I've gotten the BAD_POOL_HEADER error, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT, and so on; though I can't get all the stop error information. This is a newly built machine.

Here are my specs:

XP Pro SP3
3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
ASUSTeK P5K board [333 mghz]
2GB ram
GeForce 8600 GT

Also using Norton 360 2007 and a 400W power supply, which might be important..

I have reinstalled things and updated drivers; but these do not seem to help. =/ I can post logs, just need to know where to find them..

Both those errors are due to a faulty driver or software issues. When it blue screens does it mention any drivers?

Not that I can see, though I could be wrong. How would I go about posting the information needed to determine that?

Oh, I apologize for not mentioning that Memtest86 came back fine, through 15 passes..

From auhma.org:

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.

* What you want to look for are any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs. They often point to where the issues are.

* Also, go to the sticky "Before posting your minidumps..." here in this forum. Julio's name is attached to it. Read it through and see if the guidance there helps you resolve your problems. Since you've already done MemTest just skip that suggestion.

* If you are still having issues attach your minidumps in your next post.

My most recent minidumps are attached.

I removed Norton, then restored it in case it was a virus. It will/cannot finish the scan.
Spybot finds nothing.

I've switched out my netcard with my boyfriend's, a Netgear WG311T V3 for a V2, and still having the same problems. I've gotten more of the same errors, and also got a corrupt file: windows/system32.exe error earlier today. My Netgear program crashes frequently still.

At this point, things sound like they're getting worse.. should I just System Restore or call the whole thing a bust and reinstall XP?

You have two 0x24 errors: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM and these are defined as...

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software

You have one 0x8E error and these are almost always caused by hardware issues, but in this case it identifies the driver SRTSP.SYS which is a Symantec (Norton) anitivirus software driver.

One 0xD1 error which are caused by faulty drivers opr buggy software and in this case the driver WG311T13.SYS was cited as the culprit which belongs to Netgear.

One error of note is 0xA which can point to a driver issue but often a hardware issue as well. In this case memory corruption was cited and that, for me, is very significant. Corrupted memory can cause all kinds of system errors with varying error code read outs.

So...

1. First, run MemTest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes. Any errors and you have memory that must be replaced.

2. Run a full harddrive diagnostics.

3. Uninstall Norton and make sure it is fully removed by utilizing their very own utility to remove it completely (you'll find it on their website). Norton is notorious for leaving remnants behind. Once removed do yourself a favor and go with either Anti-Vir free or Avast free anti-virus offerings. Both are very good and won't hog system resources like Norton.

4. Download the latest Netgear drivers and save to your desktop, uninstall Netgear drivers, reboot in safe mode and do a search for any remaing drivers and uninstall. Reboot, do not let Windows Wizard install their own versions, and when you get to the desktop install the Netgear drivers.

*** Do MemTest first.

Right. LoL first posts a rant and help request- oh well!

My PC is admitedly due an upgrade- as of late (about 2-3 months...or more possibly) its been restarting when windows loads/ as soon as the logon screen shows. It was very annoying- but I've also been playing some more of my games and they BSOD. I got a bad_pool_caller as my error message (next time I'll write more down), and it does it in about 20 minutes of gameplay in slightly graphicy-games (thief 3 esp.).

Afetr googling im starting to think it could be more to do with a 9800pro? I have the powercolor edition, 128mb version. My hard drive holding windows is 4 years old (hence the upgrade) and recently I installed my own 300gb drive.

Basically. Help this poor girl out! :). Im no tch noob but windows problems really annoy me.

(oh, and keep video drivers upadted so there the most recent catalyst version.)

22 passes and no errors.

Norton has gone away again, woot.

Netgear reinstalled without a hitch; and the machine hasn't crashed yet.

But now I can't get to the internet. Lame!

valindria - Is your router wireless or not?

hellknightlizz - It would be a whole lot better if you started your own thread rather than attach to this one. By the way, 0xC2 errors are caused ypically by a faulty driver or buggy software.

Sorry, yes, my router and card is wireless. I use the Netgear WG311T.

Been running the machine and got one PFN_LIST stop, which is better than it was.

valindria said:
Sorry, yes, my router and card is wireless. I use the Netgear WG311T.

Been running the machine and got one PFN_LIST stop, which is better than it was.

0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

Can you access the internet?

Reset the router by unplugging for 5 seconds and then replugging to power source. Sometimes they need to be reset.

I did that a few times and it finally worked, then my netgear program crashed again like it was doing before. =/

More errors, attached minidumps for today.

Event Viewer for today is pointing to: wlancfg5.exe version 4.4.1.306 with faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00010193

wlancfg5.exe version 4.4.1.306 with faulting module wlancfg5.exe, version 4.4.1.306, fault address 0x0006a34a

I know these are Netgear, and I installed 5.0 for this according to previous instructions, I'm not sure what is wrong now. =/

Edit: Sorry, these versions -are- for 5.0, it would seem.

First, it could be that your wireless card is bad. But consider the following:

Minidump 1 - 0xFC error which is caused by a faulty driver. Unfortunantely it cited a core Windows driver which isn't much help. Check out this Microsoft article that deals with the 0xFC error: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474&sd=RMVP

Minidump 2 - 0x8E error citing corrupted memory. This is not the first time this error with this read came up.

Minidump 3 - 0xC5 error citing another core Windows driver. This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

Minidump 4 - 0xA error and it cites memory corruption. This, too, is not the first time this error has come up.

* You've had several errors that have cited or point to memory corruption. And I know you've run memtest twice with quite a few passes. The thing with MemTest is that as great as a utility it is bad RAM has been known to pass it. Try this: Run your PC with only one stick of memory and see if you gain stability. Then switch out.

* It still could be your wireless card accessing areas it shouldn't.

* When you removed Norton did you use their uninstall utility that you can find on their website? If not, do so.

* Did you have any issues prior to installing SP3?

Took out one RAM stick, and both AntiVir and Spybot ran without a hitch.

No errors thus far and haven't switched out the RAM yet, will do so shortly.

Kinda bummed that it seemed to be the RAM, but ah well. =D

The good thing is RAM is easy to install and you can get it at a great price. Just make sure it matches and that it is rated for your ASUS motherboard. ASUS mobos are noted for their pickiness about RAM.

-nod- As soon as I can, I'll take both sticks [after marking the seemingly bad one] and my board manual to the geek store and ask them to help me match it.

I think this solves my problem, thank you profusely for your help! I am very grateful.

Here is a link to your motherboard (a very nice one I might add):

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1637&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0

Notice the type of memory you can install by looking at the memory recommendation.

You can find out exactly the memory recommended brands by googling ASUSTeK P5K board and go to the ASUS link.

Once you find the right memory go to NewEgg or some other reputable online store and order the RAM. This is very simple to install. I am sure someone you know can take 10 minutes to set it correctly.

2 gigs would be good and keep your left over stick as a spare part. Just make sure you store it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back