Baffling BSOD stop error upon installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madder

WIN XP BSOD. Ok here's the kicker. I have tried 2 different machines and 2 different soundcards and 2 different Graphics cards and mixed and matched them around and even 2 different Hard drives and no matter what I do, I am getting a blue scrren of death. Could both motherboards be faulty?

1st machine is an AMD Athlon 2000+ 1GB RAM
2nd one is a packard bell machine and it's a 2.6 GHZ P4 and also has 1 GB RAM. I have swapped the RAM and reduced the RAM to one card on both machines too. The HDD's are both seagate. 1 is a 60GB and the other is an 80GB. The Graphics cards, 1 is an NVIDIA Geforce 5500. 256MB And the other, I can't remember, it was in the packard bell and is 128MB anyway. I have switched them into the other machines etc. The Sound Cards are Philips Ultimate Edge 5.1 Surround sound card and a CMedia Virtual 5.1 Sound card.

The OS is WINXP. These bSOD had happened on both Machines even before I tried the reinstall. But now, the 60GB HDD seems to be dead. The 80GB one seems to work ok, and it has a good attempt at installing WINXP with the help of a WIN98 boot disk and the i386\winnt.exe command, but when it's copying the xp files, a lot of them can't be found. I end up skipping about 20 files but carry on anyway. Then when I restart for the proper bootup, I get a BSOD. it's a STOP Error. Can anyone help?

Can you give us the Stop Error Code? It would be like this: 0x000000007F, but there are many. Also, if you can, any other things like drivers mentioned in your BSOD.

if u go to skipping files in XP installation u have problems and are going to have a lot of problems with the install, u might try reinstalling now that u have it on the HDD.

I have tried to repair and reinstall now that it's on the hard drive but It just won't. The BSOD has had many different codes and mentioned different drivers(used to be the soundcard, then the graphis card, then the usb port), but when I try to install with the bare minimums it mentions that I should Check the Hard Drive. Both SCANDISK and CHKDSK have found nothing wrong with my hard drive. Also have a lot of this type of thing

STOP: 0X0000008E

STOP: 0X000000E3

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP

About to fling the 2 desktops out to be honest!

Well 0x8E errors are caused by hardware. But we don't have enough information to go by.

0x0E3: RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED

Various failures involving the NTFS file system cause this condition.

It sounds like your harddrive is failing. Can you test your RAM in another system with memtest?

Ok thank you for all the replies. Here is exactly the message I'm getting on first bootup of a fresh installation of XP

Check for Viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed Hard Drive or Hard Drive controllers. Check Hard Drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /f to check for Hard Drive Corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical Information

STOP: 0X0000007B(0XF894C528, 0X0000034, 0X0000000, 0X0000000)

Thats the lot.

Any ideas?

I think the problem may be that I haven't installed any SCSI drivers. You know the F6 thing when you try to boot up? I downloaded seatools but it won't fit on a floppy and it's asking me to enter the manufacturers disk into drive A(the floppy drive)

Any suggestions?

can anyone link me to a driver for a seagate barracuda 80GB? I think if I press F6 and install this, my problem would be solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back