TechSpot

Baking your video card

By Technochicken
May 31, 2009
  1. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

Lol. Id say its pretty feasable after fixing dry joints on old commadore amiga modulators with a paint stripping gun years ago :)

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

It's a very feasible option if the cause of the problem is a broken solder joint.

In fact, motherboard and video card PCBs are often pre-heated to remove contaminants that may prevent a proper solder joint from forming, as well as to activate the flux that has been sprayed beforehand onto the side of the PCB to which the solder is going to be applied.

3. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

Time to remove the heatsink from my gpu and let the little fella get toasty i think! prevention is better than cure or so they say:)

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

This has inspired me to boil my PSU!

5. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

Maybe i should throw my whole computer in the oven and see how it does after 45m

6. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Couldn't hurt anything if your GPU is dead anyways. Makes logical sense to me with the solder joints losing connectivity. Lol at the Amiga, my dad loved that old PC, it was good for it's time.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.