Bandwidth problems or virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaP

i'm new to these forums so please 4giv me if i'm posting in the wrong section.

lets get straight to the problem.

in our office we have 3 computers connected to a netgear router. All wired connections. 1 computer is the bosses and that pc is only on for about 3 hours per day. We have a 5GB bandwidth cap. From ending of 2009 we reach our bandwidth cap by the 2nd or 3rd week of the month. We do not do downloads, only browsing and e-mails.

our isp insists that we are the only people using it because only our phone number shows up. the funny thing is there is 1 computer with windows xp that only send and receives about 20 000 packets each in a 9 hour day while the other comp with windaws vista send and receives a few million packets each in a few hours!

now how can i tell whether this is a virus or can this computer have been hacked by an outside source to use internet? i do netstat readings and it shows established connections although the e-mail and internet are closed.

our isp has provided us with a website where we can monitor our daily bandwidth usage. the usage varies but mostly the "incoming" is between 300MB to 400MB and "outgoing" is between 10 to 30MB. our isp insisted that we were using too much of YOU TUBE, FACEBOOK and TWITTER so they came in and blocked those sites on the router but we still having the problem. We don't even use YOU TUBE and TWITTER!

now how can i find this problem?

If the router has no wireless capability then you can rule out anyone using it from the outside. I would suggest using a bandwidth monitoring tool on each PC to see which PC is taking the most BW.

Make sure all PC's have all software patches and updates applied and scan for malware.

What you can do is stay longer one day after work where everyone gone home. Run some test bring in another router into this scope. But some how one system is accessing the internet. You need to check each out. Disable the Boss, and test the other two out. What OS are you running? Install / Scan the systems with IOBIT 360 Security (Free) and install IOBIT Advanced System Care (Free) also get IOBIT Smart Defrag works with the ASCF. This is what I would run 360, then run ASCF which will run SD. Need to check if any deep pest is either cloaked and is calling home. If nothing turns up then, could be the router acting up. Best to backup the configuration, update the firmware and reset the router. All 3 systems should have the latest patches and updates.

i ran spybot on that pc and found a "FunWebBrowser" what is that? should i be worried? how can i remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back