bandwith control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to be able to limit bandwidth on certain ports on my router. I have cable internet and a netgear rt614 router and the connection is shared with three computers. Any1 know if I can limit all the ports (other than mine of course) to be capped at like 10 to 15 Kb\s so I still have enough bandwidth left to play games online without my ping fluctauting?

Really need help on this one, please reply, and give some solid valuable information :eek: :)

Not sure if this information is solid or valuable..

I think your router doesn't support bandwidth throttling, most of them don't. If you can't find such a setting in the manual or in the setup, then it's not there.

If you want to impose these limits you need to buy a new router/switch that supports bandwidth throttling or a special bandwidth managing device.

I know that most companies don't make bandwidth throttling routers for home use. The only other solution I know of is to use a Windows server product as the router and enable QoS packet scheduling. This idea sucks though because MS products are so expensive.
Does anyone know of a router that features bandwidth throttling for home use? I would like to know because I share my high-speed internet with my roommates and they hog all the bandwidth that I'm paying for.

Thanks,

Ryan

I tried to do this a few lears ago but couldent find any hardware or software ways to do this. However you should have enough bandwidth if the other people are just surfing the internet and not doing heavy downlading and uploading.

Hi there! I am also quite interested in controlling the bandwidth that goes out to the other ports of my router. The reason is that my bro downloads quite a bit. Normally I get pings around 30-70 in CS. When he downloads, he takes all of the bandwidth, causing my ping to skyrocket to 350+. He downloads only at night.......which just happens to be when I like to play. When he goes to download, I'd like to be able to set the bandwidth available to me at around 15-20KB/s and give him the rest. 20KB/s is more than enough for Counter-Strike. If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be much obliged.

You either have to buy a high-end router (costs a fortune) or use a linux box as a router with QoS enabled (a lot to configure).

I cant believe that this is so exspensive and hard to accomplish. How can filesharing programs(aka Kazaa) have bandwidth control features like what we want but there are no free programs to use to limit network use on each PC?

btw almost all of the p2p software have BW control built-in ... your brother might just have to use this

Welcome to Cursor and berzerk on your first posts to TechSpot ! And thanks for sharing!

:wave:

Use NetPeeker on the machine you want to limit bandwidth on, and set a password if they don't like it. Router-level bandwidth control, as people have said, costs a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back