Barnes & Noble unveils Kindle Fire rival, the Nook Tablet

By Jos
Nov 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Barnes & Noble today revealed the successor to its Nook Color e-reader as it readies to against book-selling rival Amazon for your holiday dollars. The $250 Nook Tablet isn't a…

Read the whole story
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,884   +351

I have an idea, they use NORMAL ANDROID and preinstall their app. That way, I might actually BUY one.
  3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

Or you could just root it and use your own ROM, like most android users end up doing fairly easily. I still like the Kindle Fire, but the increased storage and expandability of this with Micro SD makes it tempting as well.
  4. chaboi390

chaboi390 Newcomer, in training Posts: 83

This thing been out for ages... even b4 the kindle fire...
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,884   +351

^no, it hasnt. read the first two paragraphs.
  6. i had issues with the original nook and the new version addresses most.
    no netflix app on original, kindle fire doesnt have one either. new nook win

no access to android store, kindle fire doesnt either. can root nook (install android on microsd card then when microsd is installed it will boot from and run android gaining access to android store, remove sd card and nook returns to original.) capable on both nooks

faster processor then original nook is a reason to upgrade from original, added memory negates extra cash spent over kindle fire.

the power input is micro usb, a standard connection but can only use the cord provided to charge. sucks i have all these micro usb cables but can not charge from pc usb or car charger. need special car charger that also charges my phone and other devices.
    both nooks are guilty of this.
  7. PandoraProxy

PandoraProxy Newcomer, in training

The kindle fire does Netflix and Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. You can easily Root the Kindle Fire just the same.

Additionally The Kindle fire has a far larger multimedia store, with music, videos, books, everything.

The nook only allows you to store 1 GB of none B&N data on it unless you purchase your own MicroSD card. The kindle fire also allows you to store any of your purchased content on their cloud servers at no cost, and no limit.

B&N are just desperately trying to defy their inevitable demise.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.