BASIC Programming Language?

TheJediSlayer

Hello, I heard that users who are just beginning to or want to program should do BASIC as their first language. I was hoping that someone could direct me to a good tutorial site for the BASIC programming language, please. I've looked on Google for a bit, but it seems to shoot back other things at me that aren't exactly what I need. I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows of a great site to start learning BASIC from, I would appreciate it.

BASIC is pretty much extinct nowadays and a pretty useless thing to learn. A derivative (vastly different really) - Visual Basic is the definitive entry-level programming language in Windows.

VB is pretty good if you just want to program and are not interested in any red tape and housekeeping rules. It is pretty difficult to move on to any more serious languages though.

You should start out with an object-oriented language. Makes you think in the right box (OO is considered the "right" box for now AFAIK). So C++ it is.

That package you linked to is totally useless BTW, it contains only some .DLLs, not the VC suite.
You probably want this: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa975050.aspx

I could give you pointers to some good books about learning C++ programming, but I suspect that you are more interested in making Windows programs in C++.. I believe some tutorials come with the Visual Studio itself.

I think 2005 would be a better choice. 2008 is still in testing and you probably can't find any useful info on it.

Visual Studio is a complete development suite that comes with every conceivable tool, including a compiler.

I started on C++

Then it got boring and I started doing flash games and learned how to AS, After awhile it got boring as well so I started learning web-based languages like HTML and PHP

A late response, I was off for awhile

Learning C++ would be alot better, seeing how normal C is pretty useless now because almost nothing uses it any more, but if you want to go learn what is more popular these days you should check out HTML / PHP, java and perl coding

Start with Visual Basic, but don't get too much into it. It teaches programming practices that you won't want to use with proper programming languages.

Back