TechSpot

battery tester

By erwin1978
Oct 19, 2002
  1. Is there a battery tester that can tell me how much more milliamps a battery holds. I just got some rechargeable NIMH 1850 and I don't if my charger is charging the batteries to full capacity or not.

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Perhaps using a battery tester might help. Or why not use a multimeter, by this way you can measure milliamphere, amphere and voltage all in one package? But sometimes multimeters don't come cheap.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +394

if you really concerned about them getting to full capacity and you can connect the batteries in series you might consider buying a peak charger. The way they work is they charge the batteries until there is a really small decrease in voltage - indicating overcharging - and they stop. Here is a link to one such charger. That thing will charge anywhere between 1 and 8 at a time (unless you are trying to charge 9V batteries) and should take between 5 and 20 minutes to fully charge.

4. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 593

Yes a good multimeter is not cheap at all. I would recommend a FLUKE though as they are quality and manufactured by a well-known company.

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

There has to be a way to make your own voltmeter. I know I have seen it done before.

I have a very nice one that cost me $90 (US), and it does everything I need it to. Only problem is that it is more than most people would like to spend. I know you can find one for around $20, but I wouldn't gauruntee they will work well.

I"m going to do some research on making your own VOM and post back.

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

http://www.homepower.com/files/voltmeters.pdf

This website tells you how to do it, but it looks a lot harder than I thought it would be. I remember having to do something similar in my circuits class. Maybe that was one of those group projects I just let the other group members work on :D

7. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I'll second that. Fluke is one of the best but they are overpriced in my opinion. Triplet meters are good as well. I use both brands and don't have much preference of one over the other.

I paid $90 for my Analog Triplet and $400 for my Fluke Digital w/capacitor and diode check functions built in.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.