Battlefield 1942 available as free download on Origin

Jos

Staff

Back in September DICE launched week-long celebration to commemorate the 10th anniversary of its Battlefield franchise, discounting a bunch of games from the series and running a few other special features. Well, it appears that the company continues on a giving spirit, and in celebration of Battlefield 3 Premium surpassing 2 million members they’re making Battlefield 1942 available as a free download.

The download is available via EA’s Origin service and includes the base game only, with no expansions. The company is also releasing a compilation of concept artwork from the development of Battlefield 1942 in the form of a digital booklet (PDF) that contains visual and gameplay materials from over a decade ago.

download battlefield

“Since the beginning, the reception to the Battlefield series has been incredible thanks to our amazing fans. Every day, we strive to provide our community with great games and new ways to play as evident with Battlefield 3 Premium. We wanted to thank our fans who have supported us throughout the years with a chance to go back and play the game that started it all.”

The digital download version of the game also supports online multiplayer but can only be played against other players who are using the same version. Official servers are being setup specifically for this release of the game or users can run their own dedicated servers. Also, while the announcement says that mod support is "untested," some are said to work so players can head to the Battlelog forums to share their findings.

Permalink to story.

I already have 1942, but if I didn't I would be jumping for joy right now. One of the best multiplayer games of all time... for free? Yes please.

The game that started it all. Man, did I invest some serious hours into that one. I'll download this just to get a little blast from the past.

Requesting a pickup!
Requesting a pickup!
Requesting a pickup!
Requesting a pickup!
Enemy submarine spotted!
Requesting a pickup!
Requesting a pickup!
Requesting a pickup!

I soooo loved this game (and all the expansions)...I must get me some nostalgia and download it forthwith... :)

Its funny how they view BF3 premium as a service to their community, when I view it as a sheer money making scheme by EA

If you look at the link and the page that loads.. Its to the demo.. the demo always been free. So, this is full of BS and no MAC version for us mac heads...

Sounds good. Enjoy your Origin while I don't bother with it.
You sound like an iSheep. "Whatever. It's free, but it's not what I use. I'm not going to get it."
Origin sucks, but apparently not too much seeing as how I have 250+ hours in Battlefield 3.

There really is no problem with Origin and it is easily disabled from running on your computer while leaving the game playable. If that isn't enough for people just use the CD version. the Battlefield 1942 community is being revived by EA doing this and that is awesome as it is and was one of the best communities for a game in history. I have setup a community/forums to help out new players and also make a place for people who love the game to hangout and share information.
Check us out at http://www.battlefield1942.net

Back