Battlefield 2 crashing after applying 1.41 patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just upgraded my PC and eagerly installed BF2, which has been lying on my shelf for a long time due to my old rig not being able to run it. I installed it, launched it, and everything went smoothly. I tweaked the GFX settings slightly because my GeForce 9800GTX should definitely be able to handle it. All is well at this point, but I can't play online because I need to get the latest patch (1.41) which I then find, download via Bit-torrent (I found a reliable torrent), and install.

This is where things start to go bad. I launched the game after applying the patch and the BF2 splash screen pops up and then proceeds to go to a black screen. Instead of getting to the game however, I'm stuck at the black screen. (The game doesn't crash back to my desktop, unlike many other people with similar problems) I Alt+Tab out and see that there's an error window that I am unable to see. So I end the BF2 process.

It's weird because I was able to play the game before installing the patch but not after. I've researched the error hoping to find a solution and so far I've seen that for most people, it's a monitor refresh rate issue. The game launches with a refresh rate of 60 but my monitor is at 60, so there's nothing conflicting there. Also, my 19' wide screen monitor can handle 800x600, which is what the game runs in initially. So it shouldn't have to do with anything display related. I've tried reinstalling both the game and the patch with no luck. I've also tried deleting my BF2 profiles folder. Nothing seems to work, and I can't find a logical solution. Alas, here I am seeking help, and if anyone is willing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sys Specs:
-Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX
-2 GIgs of Memory
-Intel 2.2 Dual Core overclocked to 2.6

Do two things

1) Put your CPU back to stock speeds
2) Completely uninstall and then reinstall BF2, re-applying the patch after downloading the patch again from a different source.

If that doesn't work, make sure your video card drivers are current and try starting with a 640x480 mode, and try forcing some different refresh rates such as 75hz provided your monitor can support it.

I have been playing BF2 for years and more than once I have had to reinstall because a patch corrupted it. Give the above a shot then let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back