Battlefield 2 in-game crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

I just bought a copy of Battlefield 2. My brother installed the game on his Windows login account and it worked fine. A couple days later, I tried playing the game while logged into my account, and every time I tried joining a Multiplayer server I got a message saying something along the lines of "Your CD key is invalid." With a bit of research I found out how to change the CD key without re-installing the game, using the support file "Battlefield 2_code.exe" and re-entering the CD key. After doing so, I could successfully join a Multiplayer game online with no CD key problems (it is a valid copy of BF2, it should work). However, after about 45 seconds of perfectly normal online gameplay, the game shuts down, giving me no errors or lag or anything. I did a bit more research, and it seems like this is a fairly common problem.

Since the game worked before, I concluded that the problem has nothing to do with my hardware. I am thinking the problem has something to do with the CD key, because the game also works fine when playing Single player. Anyone have a fix? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

how much ram do you have? cause thats my problem as well and it turned out to be the ram. make sure you close all background processes IE antivirus, Internet explorer, Gamespy arcade <-- resourse hog. for multiplayer games use Xfire or join ingame.
PS BF2 is a ram hog im completely lucky that i can get mine to work at all saying i only have 894 MB of ram

I have 2GB of RAM, and I have tried disabling every background process with no luck. I NEVER use Gamespy. I do use Vista which itself uses quite a bit of RAM, but I think 2GB should suffice. Thanks for your response.

hmmm is BF2 vista compatible? I'm not sure if it is or not, whats your video card? these are the requirments for the game.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
512 MB of RAM or more
8x or faster CD/DVD drive
2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible (Sound Blaster X-Fi series recommended )
VIDEO
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
ATI Radeon 8500 or greater
MULTIPLAYER
Multiplayer requires 1 set of discs per PC and a broadband (Cable, DSL, or a faster) connection.Internet or Network (2-64 players).

That is straight from the Battlefield 2 website through EA Games so it may be your OS

I have a GeForce 7600GT (256mb), so that shouldn't be the problem.

Yesterday the game just randomly started working. This is great, but it also means that it could randomly stop working again.

Thanks everyone for your help!

well hope everything works out for the best and ill c you in the battlefield! :)
Battlefield 2 has its times that it works and that it doesnt hopefully your computer just had a "Cold" lol

i just got the complete collection and notice when it crashes my ram and computer resourses is at 100% so im pretty sure thats what it is u guys useing it for multi? and punkbuster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back