Battlefield 2142 freezing after 10-20 min gametime

By DjKraid
Sep 25, 2009
  1. Hi

So my bf2142 is freezes randomly after 10-20 minutes of "geeking" time...the computer just freezes and some colors are just f*cked up...the only thing I can do to that is "pulling the plug" and rebooting...

sry I'm bad at explaining :(

So what to do

I just installed a new graphicscard (GeForce GTS250, and I downloaded new drivers to so they can't be too old) and a new 550W powersupply and a new CPU cooler (runs now at 35-45 degrees celsius)
  2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

I presume you uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones.

What brand of PSU do you have?
  3. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 536   +21

I reinstalled windows and everything :p

I can play for maybe 1-1.5h if I have the settings on "Medium" :/ but that sucks...

PSU as in power supply...LC-Power 550W. 6550GP V2.0, Silent Giant Green black, ATX-vi
  4. Ritwik7

It's difficult to say where exactly the problem lies. It could be your RAM / PSU / GPU. How hot is the graphics card getting when you play?

550W is sufficient power for the GTS 250 IMO. However, if its not a good brand it may just not be providing sufficient juice for playing at high settings.

Does this happen with other games as well?
  5. DjKraid

GPU~35-50 Celsius...

The funny thig is that I can play Fallout 3 @ 1280x1024 an all settings on "Ultra High" with no problem at bf2142s resolution is only 1024x768@85Hz
  6. Ritwik7

Then it's a different story. I have had similar problems with Far Cry 2 once in a while but with no other games. I did not figure out why it happened with FC2. I presumed it was my RAM which is not of very good quality. However, no other games have ever given any problems. I play Crysis , S.T.A.L.K.E.R , Mirror's Edge, etc. all at High / Very High settings at 1280x1024.
  7. DjKraid

:/ now I'm also testing Grid Race Driver at all the highest settings but it just works and works and works... :p

So basicly I have now a very good computer that sucks...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.