Battlefield 3 gameplay trailer rolls out, looks impressive

Jos

Staff

Following last week's short teaser trailer of Battlefield 3, Electronic Arts and DICE have released a brand-new gameplay trailer and screenshots for its highly anticipated shooter. The game is being developed with the new Frostbite 2.0 engine and is focused foremost on the PC platform to showcase what current hardware is capable of -- and according to early impressions it was quite a demonstration of character animation, destructible environments and superb lighting.

The footage was shown at the Game Developer’s Conference and corresponds to a pre-alpha version of the game's single-player campaign, which means there's still room for improvement. It chronicles the U.S. Marines' journey through a ‘bad part of town’ in 2014, attempting to restore stability to the region surrounding the Iraqi and Iranian border.

Attendees weren't allowed to play the actual game and despite all the praise surrounding its visual and audio quality, there are still some that are not completely convinced when it comes to enemy AI. But it's still early to judge considering the game won't be out until sometime during Q3 for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The game is said to feature co-op gameplay, four classes, more unlockables than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and 64-player multiplayer on PC -- console editions support only up to 24. In addition, those who pre-order the game will automatically be upgraded to the Limited Edition version at no extra cost, and will receive the "digital expansion pack" Back to Karkland, which features re-imaginings of four classic Battlefield 2 multiplayer maps.

Permalink to story.

Looks awesome, but I hope Frostbite 2 is better optimized than 1. I think my current system should be ready though with 2600K & GTX 470.

I was not that excited two months back when I heard rumors about this, but I admit I am getting excited.
Hope PC requirements are not to outrageous.

KARKLAND BABY! And who was complaining that DICE stopped working on expansions?

Why would you do this to me DICE?! I was gonna buy this regardless, now I'll be counting down the days! If you delay this, it's war.

Holy ****. You know, if only companies put their heart into their creations like DICE... but I can only dream.

The lighting. Did you see those lighting effects? That was just gorgeous.

I'm sold.

Wow. I had more fun moving my mouse around pretending to play it then I had playing any CoD game. That's an accomplishment, or I'm just an *****. Probably both :p

When is this movie coming out ??? Oh that's right its game.. Awesome lighting ,this is how to do it.. With DX 11,Not some Dx9 graphic engine.. The ambenient sounds and how the fire fights sound's in the city,with the echoing effect.Almost triggers flashbacks from when in real fire fights..Just missing the smells..

Pre-ordering for sure now.!

A bit jaw-dropping to say the least, I'm not big on pre-ordering but BF3 is definitely on that list now. Seeing WASD pop-up was just awesome and put a big smile on my face :) .

Wow, this just looks amazing!
I'm actually kind of regretting preordering Crysis 2 about 6 months ago, the latest news on that game does not leave me impressed!
This tho, no CGI animation at all, in the opening seconds I actually thought it was a real movie, i.e. filmed real life, and then I went "oh"
Thank you Dice, thank you!

EDIT; Just read this on Wikipedia, I'm literally laughing out loud now vs the news that Crysis 2 will be released with only DirectX 9 support at the beginning:
"The next generation of Frostbite will debut with Battlefield 3. It will take full advantage of the DirectX 11 API and 64-bit processors, with no support for DirectX 9 (nor, therefore, Windows XP). It will also feature enhanced in-game destruction with Destruction 3.0, creating more refined physics than its predecessor."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_Engine

schadenfreude said:
Is it just me or everyone feels that the animation and graphics are better than crysis 2.

They are better than crysis 2,

Mostly because Crysis 2 is inferior to the first game on a graphical level. Oh hey let's put the same models and textures on all 3 graphical settings. I'm sure PC gamers will be content with our bloom rape and godrays on the higher settings.

Crysis 2 was drooled over when we first saw the trailers, now you all bash it. Battlefield 3 looks impressive, but lets wait until the release date.

jeffz6 said:
Crysis 2 was drooled over when we first saw the trailers, now you all bash it. Battlefield 3 looks impressive, but lets wait until the release date.

People drooled over the trailers because they don't understand the concept of a pre rendered video.

Back