Battlefield V's battle royale mode won't arrive until March 2019

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: On one hand, you could argue that first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty are long in the tooth and in need of something new. Conversely, some will insist that battle royale is already played out and not the new innovation these titles need.

EA in late August revealed that Battlefield V would miss its original launch window. The game was slated to land on October 19 but was pushed back to November 20 to give DICE more time to make adjustments to the core gameplay.

Many – myself included – assumed EA simply bumped the release date as to not sandwich itself between the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on October 12 and Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26. While that theory still holds some water, another possibility has presented itself.

EA on Wednesday announced that Firestorm, Battlefield V’s battle royale mode, won’t be ready at launch next month. In fact, the popular game mode won’t make its debut until next March as the third chapter in Tides of War, the live service for Battlefield V, along with the arrival of the Greece map.

Chapter one, set to arrive two weeks after Battlefield V’s launch, will add the Panzerstorm map, vehicle customizations and a new single-player War Story called The Last Tiger. Chapter two will land sometime between January and March, adding combined arms and squad conquest.

What are your thoughts? Do you think EA’s decision to push the launch of Firestorm back to March hurts Battlefield V sales this fall?

Permalink to story.

Battlefield 5 was a hard pass for me this year anyway. I don't like the direction the series is going in and there are just way better games out this year that I'd much rather spend my money on. I'm a long time BF fan and it sucks passing this year.

I think this is a tactical error (pun intended). Gamers who are interested in Battle Royale now, probably won't be almost 6 months from now. These gaming trends seem to come and go very quickly.

Not to mention this is bad timing anyway with other top-tier games coming out (and CoD already out) at approximately the same time.

I think this is a tactical error (pun intended). Gamers who are interested in Battle Royale now, probably won't be almost 6 months from now. These gaming trends seem to come and go very quickly.

Not to mention this is bad timing anyway with other top-tier games coming out (and CoD already out) at approximately the same time.
Battlefield has been a established top tier release for October for a while now and battlefield 1 did better with preorders than infinite warfare. Let's not pretend like cod was going to hurt battlefield and act like red dead was going to make battlefield V do poorly. We can lay the blame at the feet of dice and ea with how they treated their fanbase and the confused direction of trying to be a arcade and realistic shooter at the same time. On top of that, many people who played the beta, called this game soulless.

So at lunch you get a game ripped of one game mode, several maps and many many weapons, and after few months when you get what you payed for its time to pay some more for a DLC and I assume 5 of them as always, good old EA fashion . . . I just hope they wont use this extra time for digging some more depth to the grave of BF franchise :(

If they released it now nobody would care cause they're too busy playing BO4 which turned out to be pretty good, if they release it in March the whole BR craze might weaken so it's a risky situation where in both cases EA will likely get ****ed but who cares about EA.

Back