BCCode error and screen goes blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have looked around this thread and also made various searches and troubleshooted the problem. I am a handy guy with computers but I can't solve this problem.

PROBLEM: My laptop keeps rebooting if moved around. First the screen goes blank and after a little processing, the harddrive stops and reboots the computer. This problem only occurs if the laptop is moved from a steady state. [Problem started 4 days ago and I have been trying to diagnose the prob]

Laptop: IBM T42 laptop with 1GB RAM (2 modules of RAM - checked, working fine)and running XP Pro with all IBM utilities.

First I thought, the active protection was starting to be a problem so I uninstalled it but didn't make any difference as it used to suspend the HDD when there was motion.

Second, I also reinstalled some of the common drivers [ethernet, CD-ROM eject utility and ATI video card display drivers]

As I read from the thread: it could have been the display drivers so I reinstalled it but hassn't solved it yet.

Collected a few minidumps for the problem and are in the zip file. It'll be gr8 if I can get this up and running because this is my primary school laptop with a lot of papers and it is becoming frustrating when it restarts every 15-45 mins due to motions like someone walking hard on the floor.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sags

Please re-zip minidump files only and not your folder because the Zip utility cannot open the folder. Zip together your 5 most recent minidump files. I'll attempt to read them.

I was able to read 4 of your 5 files and all are error 0x8E which are almost always caused by hardware but sometimes by drivers.

In your case all cite the ATI miniport driver ati2mtag.sys as the cause. This is an ATI display driver.

Now you may be able to go to Lenovo's site (possibly ATI) and download the last set of most recent drivers for your system. However, and I am only guessing here, it seems your issue may actually be a physical problem with your video card because your issues occur when moving it about. Is this a dedicated graphics card as opposed to onboard video? If so, perhaps it is "loose" or maybe there are issues with the screen itself with some sort of connection.

Tearing down a laptop certainly isn't easy as a PC. Do you know of anyone who can work on laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back