BCCode : f4 Problem - Help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having this problem for quite some time now. I used suggestions from an earlier post and downloaded windbg. The error which comes up is:

I am not a computer person. Please interpret the following and tell me the best course of action! Should I save my files- reformat my hard drive and reload windows and other programs all over again. - Thanks - girgit

Since your Minidump File record cites hardware_disk as the culprit do the following:

1. Go to your harddrive manufacturer's website and download and install their free diagnostic utility for your harddrive and run a full diagnostics. This takes a long time but well worth it.

* Get back to us with the results.

2. Run ChkDsk (just as I spelled it) in the Run box found in your Start Menu.

3. Scan for infections.

Thanks Route 44 (techguru) - As per your suggestion I downloaded the Maxtor (now SEAGATE) diagnostic utility "Seagate Tool for Windows" - The latest one - as per their suggestion. (My hard drive model# is Maxtor 6Y160P0)

As soon as I click on "Seagate Tool for Windows" a 1" x 4" box opens saying scanning for drives but then the screen goes and then I get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) OR the computer just starts rebooting! It is frustrating! I have gone through this 4 times already and once in safemode!

The latest windbg debug results are here for your comments!

I did ChkDsk already as suggested and have run virus check for infections. If you think I need to defrag and/or reformat the reload Windows XP again let me know. Do you think the problem is with Service Pack 3 for Win XP. Even the new Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 has been a pain in the *** and keeps on hanging up. Help kind sir!

1. Don't defrag at this time.

2. If it is the hardisk going reformatting won't help.

3. Were you having issues before with Service Pack 3?

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message. One user, who experienced this on return from Standby mode on Win XP SP2, found the cause was that Windows was installed on a slave drive

* One possible way of running a harddrive diagnostics is to slave your current harddrive to another system. If you don't have another one perhaps a friend's system.

>ExceptionCode: c0000006 (In-page I/O error)
>Inpage operation failed at 7c9993c8, due to I/O error c000000e
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0x%08lx".
IO_ERROR: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.

All talk about IO but the last sentence is significant. It talks about "A device which does not exist was specified. I have had a 40G slave on the same computer which does not register anymore because a couple of pins are bent. But that should not be the problems! Right? The other thing is you said that reformatting will not help. Won't reformatting the drive isolate bad sectors and then a newly re-installed Windows XP work fine again? Without problems? If yes what are the steps? Help!

0x06 INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT errors are rare. From what I have been able to gather they are caused by either hardware or faulty device drivers.

So, the 40 gig HD that you mentioned that isn't registering because of bent pins, is it still slaved and is it still attached to your motherboard and master HD through cabels.

If so, detach from both Master HD and motherboard. Does this stop the BSODs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back