BDC-202 Pioneer firmware update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Acer desktop that has a Pioneer BDC-202 blu-ray drive in it. When I try to play a blu-ray disc it says I need to update it and it sends me to a broken link. I am running version 1.07, and as far as I can tell, that is the current firmware.

I just want to watch some movies I bought on blu-ray! please help!

Acer online tech support was NO help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
I figured it out. Install different DVD player software. the Acer software doesn't support Blu-ray. I'm using Power DVD and it works amazingly now!

I found an archived page that says, in part;

"In addition to the Pioneer BDC-202 or BDC-2202 Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Combo drive, you will need the following products to watch Blu-ray Disc® movies on your properly configured PC.

GRAPHICS PROCESSOR UNIT (GPU)

The NVIDIA® PureVideoTM HD technology - available on NVIDIA GeForce 7 and 8 series graphics cards - features hardware acceleration, integration with leading movie players, and is designed to meet the HDCP specification for output protection management and security specifications of the Blu-ray Disc movie format.

Revolutionary new video processing architecture - NVIDIA GeForce 7 and 8 series GPUs incorporate a revolutionary new video processing architecture that offloads Blu-ray Disc video decoding from the CPU. The added processing power gives PureVideo HD technology that ability to support more complex features as they are added to Blu-ray Disc movies, including "picture in picture" video, interactive games and menus, and higher bit-rate / higher quality movies.

Superb picture quality - NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology delivers outstanding picture clarity, ultra-smooth video, vivid color, and precise image scaling for video and Blu-ray Disc movies. PureVideo HD technology accelerates and enhances high-definition movies in H.264, VC-1, WMV, and MPEG-2 formats. High definition post-processing features, including advanced de-interlacing, noise reduction, and edge enhancement, provide spectacular picture clarity at resolutions up to 1080p - the highest HD resolution available.

Low CPU utilization and power consumption - PureVideo HD technology offloads the CPU and 3D engine of complex video tasks allowing the user to run other applications while playing a high-definition movie. Lower CPU utilization can result in reduced power consumption and less heat and noise.

Recommended NVIDIA graphics cards: GeForce 8 series - 8500 GT, 8600 GT/GTS, & 8800 GTS/GTX

Featured PureVideo HD compliant graphics cards

GeForce 8400 GS
GeForce 8500 GT

GeForce 8600 GT
GeForce 8600 GTS

Visit the NVIDIA web site for more information about the PureVideo HD technology driven GPUs.

In addition to the GPU, your PC will also need to meet the minimum system requirements below to playback high-definition Blu-ray Disc movies.

PROCESSOR: Intel® Pentium® Dual Core OR AMD Athlon X2TM

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows Vista®

DRIVE INTERFACE: Serial ATA

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Minimum 1280 x 720

MONITOR AND GRAPHICS CARD CONNECTION: DIGITAL: HDMI® or DVI (HDCP Compliant) OR ANALOG: D-Sub VGA supported (adapter may be required)

RAM (computer memory): 1 GB

HARD DRIVE SPACE: 200 MB

VIDEO RAM: Graphics card memory requires 256 MB or above

SOUND CARD: PCI sound card or on-board audio

DIRECTX: DirectX® 10

The above products are offered by third party vendors and are not distributed by or affiliated with Pioneer.

NVIDIA and PUREVIDEO are registered trademarks of NVIDIA Corporation.
INTEL and PENTIUM are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
AMD ATHLON is a registered trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
MICROSOFT and WINDOWS VISTA are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
HDMI and the HDMI logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC."

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...DC-202+blu-ray+drive&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=ca

Solution!

I got it working, the firmware is fine, it was the crappy Acer pre-loaded dvd software that was defective. Install Power DVD or something like that and it will magically work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back