Beat up laptop won't load.

Over the weekend, my bf decided to pound my laptop into the ground. Now the screen is completely cracked and my laptop won't load to the Windows screen. My laptop is a Gateway... I think M-6732, although I'm not positive. The power comes on, you hear the hard drive whirring and then the Gateway logo flashes on the screen. After a couple seconds, the logo dissapears and the computer reboots to do the same thing over and over again. I'm wondering if my hard drive is ok? I have over 3 years of photo's saved on there along with countless programs. If I had the money to have it looked at, I wouldn't be asking here :) Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi natalivia,

Welcome to techspot!

Ok Firstly might be time for a new bf lol ;). It sounds like that IF the laptop isnt totattly smashed that something might have come loose somewhere.

OK the next thing im going to ask is how far into the boot sequence you can get: for example can you get into the BIOS. this is done by tapping F2 or DEL whehn the laptop boots up. Normally this is displayed on the screen.

Do you have a PC tower as well as the laptop?

james

Yes! The new bf thing is on it's way. LOL I'm done with his crap.

It's really hard to see anything on the screen. OMG! F2 did work... I can't really read anything though. We do have a tower here, but someone borrowed the monitor.

By the way, I hate to dissapear, but he'll be home at 2, so I'll check back when I can!

Yes! The new bf thing is on it's way. LOL

Lol! (not that i was trying to influence or anything ....)

Ok the F2 is basically letting you into the Laptop BIOS. I just wanted to see it this would load up or not. I was going to ask you to try and check the boot sequence but obviously this isn't going to work as you can't read the screen lol.

Is there anyway you can get hold of a monitor? or borrow one perhaps? If you could then this can be plugged into the laptop and makes things a little bit easier.

Yes there are ways of getting the data of the Laptop HDD if all else fails.

James

Nah... no influencing, this was going to happen. I just wasn't fast enough I guess :(

I will see if I can get a monitor. I really want to make sure all my files and pictures are ok. I wish my screen wasn't so screwed up! LOL I'll be back when I find a monitor :) Thanks for your help!

Back