Beeping noise in PC

By judicious
Mar 30, 2008
  1. I was downloading QuickTime, after I installed it, I was having trouble clicking on Start. I notice it was hard to navigate to the various programs on the Start Menu. On my AIM chat box, I was having a scrolling problem. I couldn't scroll any more. Then I started to hear beeping noises from my PC. It was two beeps that happened every 30 to 60 seconds. I tried to restart the computer and it was still the same. I uninstalled QuickTime and the same. Is my computer overheating?
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

What is your motherboard or PC's brand and model?
  3. Whiffen

Whiffen TS Rookie Posts: 235

4. X1950XT

X1950XT TS Rookie Posts: 17

Your computer is locking up, something must be crashing it. It may be heat to the CPU, did u ever OC it?
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

6. judicious

judicious TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

Here's the spec for my PC:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
    Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
    CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.50GHz
    CPU Speed: 2448.2 MHz
    Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Display Adapters: MOBILITY / RADEON 9200/9250 Series | MOBILITY / RADEON 9200/9250 Series | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
    Screen Resolution: 1360 X 768 - 32 bit
    Network: Network Present
    Network Adapters: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    CD / DVD Drives: D: DVD+RW RW5240
    COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
    LPT Ports: LPT1
    Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
    Hard Disks: C: 111.8GB
    Hard Disks - Free: C: 89.3GB
    USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.
    Firewire (1394): Not Detected
    PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
    Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    Product Make:
    AC Power Status: OnLine
    BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 01/09/04 | AWARD - 42302e31
    Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
    Battery: No Battery
    Motherboard: SiS-650
    Modem: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Right now it's not beeping...

I ran SpeedFan and my current CPU is 40C degree
  7. Tedster

overheating is also a hardware issue and if your system overheats, some motherboard BIOS will give a warning beep.
  8. judicious

judicious TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

thanks for the heads up!
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

What do the beeps sound like? Do they actually sound like the beep you hear when you turn some computers on? Or does it sound different?

If it sounds like what you hear when you turn some computers on, then everyone is right about it being an alert.

If it sounds different, like a queek or fainter, then that would point to a hard drive failing.
  10. Malditohon

Malditohon TS Rookie Posts: 16

i got the same problem a long time ago then after that my motherboard crashes, destoryed all my components, including my processor.

i don't know why but somehow i think its the power supply and power surge problem.
  11. PrisL1966

PrisL1966 TS Rookie

My computer only beeps

The other day a line went down in our neighbourhood, after the power was restored, my computer rebooted itself and had a picture on the screen but then started to beep. I turned off the computer thinking it probabley just needed to reboot. The next day I turned it on and could only hear it beep about every 5 seconds from somewhere in the computer. I have no picture and I dont hear any other activity going on inside just the beeping noise, which is a long beep every 5 seconds, any ideas what happened people? Suggestings that I could do, before I take to the computer doctor and spend big bucks?
  12. Tedster

did you consult the guide?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.