TechSpot

Begin2search problems / hjt log in safe mode

By beaglescout
Dec 2, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i followed the instructions in the sticky thread and appeared to have removed begin2search. however it still doesn't work like it did before (start page does not load on this computer even when it loads on other computers)

at first i tried to use firefox instead of ie but it says "connection refused when attempting to contact _______ (insert any site)" (still gives same error).

the HJT log from safe mode: (attached because i'm currently unable to post links)

thanks for any help you can give.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let Hijackthis get rid of the following.

O2 - BHO: Xbrowse Class - {83DC91DB-7896-43E3-B34D-A7D043F16BB1} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RDSA\rdsa.dll

I`m not to sure about this one I`ve done a google search but found nothing!!

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpmvsb] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpmvsb.exe ????

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll

I think that`s about it.

Regards Howard [​IMG]

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

No point in throwing out innocent files:
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    if you still leave (some of) the baddies in!

In Safe Mode, Fix with HJT:
    O2 - BHO: Xbrowse Class - {83DC91DB-7896-43E3-B34D-A7D043F16BB1} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RDSA\rdsa.dll
    O2 - BHO: Xbrowse Class - {CE7EF827-47CC-48EB-B570-C367F1E1277E} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\x1ff\x1ff.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpmvsb] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpmvsb.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?

Then reboot again in safe mode and find and delete:
    c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\rdsa <--- FOLDER
    c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\x1ff <--- FOLDER

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.