Belkin adaptor encryption problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Basically i am trying to encypt my belkin wireless adaptor and am having a few problems. On my main computer I have an orange Livebox (router) which my second computer using the belkin adaptor connects to. The orange livebox is encrytped fine. I only found out today by pure chance that my belkin adaptor is not encrypted. I have just purchased a laptop and connected to the belkin adaptor without even doing anything!!

I have tried to work out how to add an encrytpion but its really complicated with me being such a novice of wireless networks. I have had a look at the Belkin user manual and to be honest its not much help. Its probably something really simple but for the life of me i can't figure it out!!

Hi
Depending on the os you are running on the laptop, running wpa/tkip security would probably be best as wep is insecure. How are your routers configured? Does one provide connection to the other? I would also disable ssid in the wireless router, and set a mac filter in the wifi router only allowing my laptop's mac. You might want to read up on how all these settings are made, here is a page on wpa/tkip to get you started:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

>The orange livebox is encrytped fine.

hum; wired connections are not encrypted and when the router supports
wireless connections, it's all-or-nothing; every wireless connection gets encrypted
or none of them do.

You need access to the Router Config page via a browser on a system that is WIRED.
While WEP is insecure, it's better than nothing AND easier to setup. Unless you're
in a risking environment (ie: a college dorm :) ), then personally I would not loose
any sleep over the difference twix WEP/WPA/WPA2. Yea there's technical advantages
to the WPA, but doing any encryption + not broadcasting the SSID + getting a good firewall +
using MAC address filtering creates enough hurtles to jump that the hackers
will attack your neighbor(s) before spending this much effort on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back