Belkin adaptor encryption problem

By Wardy118
May 12, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Basically i am trying to encypt my belkin wireless adaptor and am having a few problems. On my main computer I have an orange Livebox (router) which my second computer using the belkin adaptor connects to. The orange livebox is encrytped fine. I only found out today by pure chance that my belkin adaptor is not encrypted. I have just purchased a laptop and connected to the belkin adaptor without even doing anything!!

I have tried to work out how to add an encrytpion but its really complicated with me being such a novice of wireless networks. I have had a look at the Belkin user manual and to be honest its not much help. Its probably something really simple but for the life of me i can't figure it out!!
  2. Blakhart

Blakhart Newcomer, in training Posts: 510

Hi
    Depending on the os you are running on the laptop, running wpa/tkip security would probably be best as wep is insecure. How are your routers configured? Does one provide connection to the other? I would also disable ssid in the wireless router, and set a mac filter in the wifi router only allowing my laptop's mac. You might want to read up on how all these settings are made, here is a page on wpa/tkip to get you started:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,031   +222

>The orange livebox is encrytped fine.

hum; wired connections are not encrypted and when the router supports
    wireless connections, it's all-or-nothing; every wireless connection gets encrypted
    or none of them do.

You need access to the Router Config page via a browser on a system that is WIRED.
    While WEP is insecure, it's better than nothing AND easier to setup. Unless you're
    in a risking environment (ie: a college dorm :) ), then personally I would not loose
    any sleep over the difference twix WEP/WPA/WPA2. Yea there's technical advantages
    to the WPA, but doing any encryption + not broadcasting the SSID + getting a good firewall +
    using MAC address filtering creates enough hurtles to jump that the hackers
    will attack your neighbor(s) before spending this much effort on you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.