Belkin makes any USB device wireless with Home Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Belkin has announced an interesting new solution that can take up to four USB devices and make them wirelessly accessible from any computer on your home network. Dubbed Belkin Home Base, this little box will automatically back up each connected computer's files when hooked up to an external hard drive, or turn your standard printer into a shared device that everyone on the network can use.

It can automatically share files stored on attached flash or hard drives with other devices using DLNA, including gaming consoles such as Sony's PS3 or Microsoft's Xbox 360, and automatically upload photos to Flickr or Picasa. Home base is compatible with Wi-Fi b/g/n devices, or if you want to go wired, there's also a 10/100Mb/s Ethernet port on the back.

Pricing might seem a little steep at $130, but at least you won't need to purchase separate devices to add NAS-like capabilities and wireless print sharing to your network. You can read more about the Belkin Home Base in the official press release here.

Permalink to story.

I'm actually surprised this didn't exist a long time ago (first I've heard of it, at least).

rick said:
I'm actually surprised this didn't exist a long time ago (first I've heard of it, at least).
Long time ago (CompUSA was still around) there was some sort of similar device only wired. Don't remember either the name or the manufacturer, but it had relatively bad reviews and cost about $100 so I passed on it back then. I ended up converting an old computer into a Linux server handling printing and file storage. This new device seems like a nice solution for the money. Would like to see how fast it is in handling the tasks, especially file transfer. Old Linux NSLU2 was slower than molasses in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back