Belkin Wireless router LAN Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

Not to long ago I decided to buy a wireless router, having a laptop, I got sick of the LAN cable.

Heres the original setup
Broadband via Cable Modem links to
STLab router, this feeds via Cat5 cable a Hub located upstairs which in turn
feeds the kids PC's and File Server unit.

Before I went wireless file transfer rates were what you expect from a hard wired network, ie very good.

So as I said I went to a wirelss Belkin router which took the place of the STlab router and as far as surfing the web wirelessly its a very good piece of kit.
However I had cause to transfer a file from the upstairs File server and upon doing so I noticed that the transfer rate was extremely slow, in fact so slow that I gave up.

So I changed to a hard wired connection and disabled the PCMCIA WINIC, I expected file transfer rate to improve but it didn't.

I rang Belkin and after 30 minutes on hold I was informed the fault was with the network cards on my laptop (both the PCMCIA and the MINI PCI card)

I questioned them but they were adamant it was my equipment and not theirs.

To fix the problem I have placed a Hub next to the Router and plugged the Hub upstairs into that and the Belkin router as well , so in a sense I have stopped using the LAN capability of the router ( if you get what I mean).

And as for file transfer rate...well it's as good now as it was before I switched it over to the Belkin ( both hardwired and wireless) Proof that the LAN side of the router must be hampering the file transfer rate in some way.

Suggestions anyone

Maybe the router cannot understand the half-duplexness of hubs? Things get very slow if something tries to do full duplex on a half duplex network. You can test this by putting a switch in place of the hub or connecting the machines directly to the router without a hub in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back