Best 650w+ PSU I can get for $80

By ikesmasher
Aug 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Psus should be boring. No excitement should exist. Power the fun stuff. So I want a boring (meaning no fancy LEDs or crap like that) PSU that does at least 650w. With a reasonable amount of amperage. Preferably seasonic or some brand or maker known to be reliable. I shouldnt have to replace it in 5 years, as a $50 PSU from best buy 6 years ago is still working. I like the seasonic 660XP2 but obviously thats out of my price range. What should I get? im mostly looking for DEPENDABILITY, modular is great but not a requirement (its definitely considered).

It should work as advertised. Apparently thats difficult to find in a power supply these days without paying $150. :p
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

I'd suggest this Sparkle 650W. It's 80+ Gold certified, and is effectively a rebranded FSP Aurum Gold ( Sparkle Power is a division of FSP, or Fortron). I doubt you'd get a better deal for $60. It isn't modular which seems to be the only downside.
    (Product page)
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

The Corsair TX650 is also a good choice. The HX650 was @ $90 a weeks ago after main in rebate. Too bad that is done.
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I second dividebyzero's recommendation; that Sparkle PSU offers incredible quality and value!
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170