Best antivirus

By zam
Dec 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. what's the best anti virus to use ? i use kaspersky and i am happy with it
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

Basically if you are happy with your Anti Virus then stick with it.

Other good AV's, all free:
    Microsoft Security Essentials,
    Avira Free,
    Avast Free

You should use a good third party firewall, like Comodo or Zone Alarm.

SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes free versions are worth having to do regular scans.

There is no "Best" Anti Virus, what one will miss another will find.
  3. kaumena

kaumena Newcomer, in training

every software company will say that their solution is the best, there's no best that suits everyone
    i have used AVG, kaspersky, avast, trend micro and am still sticking with AVG
  4. shawjames36

shawjames36 Newcomer, in training

Hi everyone. I am the newer in this fourm and in thi site also. In my information the best antivirus for our home PC is Kespersky. It is easy to use, maintain, installation, and fast also to detect the threats and virus.

Thanx.
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I've used microsoft security essentials for the last 3 years and it works fine. I've had no issues at all. Besides being free, it's a pretty good AV in the ratings.
  6. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,088   +222

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,412   +281

I concur, I've been using it since it came out too and been really pleased. But 3 years? Wikipedia says it was released 29 September 2009.. :D
  8. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,088   +222

9. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

I agree, one can find while the other can miss.

I love Avira because of its high detection rate.... it's just that it takes way too long to update. And I've slow internet. Poor me

I replaced Avira to Avast but wasn't happy with it. But I have no choice :(
  10. Mark56

This is a worthwhile read: http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=node/180

The report is a year out of date so the detection rate tests may have changed.

All Anti Virus programs are limited in their ability to find infections in direct relation to the Author's ability to keep the software up to date. As the report states there are a huge number of new infections on the internet every day so it is an ongoing battle for any Anti Virus Author to keep their software updated. This equates to any system being vulnerable no matter what Anti Virus software you are using as new infections are only known about once they have been found which is too late to stop some PC's being infected.

The most dangerous infections 'Rootkits' are designed to be undetectable and can be in your system, sometimes for many months, before you have any clue they are there. They will open a Backdoor to your system allowing a hacker to have full access to all your personal data. In some cases, especially with Backdoor infections, the advice is often to Format & Reinstall the OS, once a system is compromised with this type of infection it can never be fully trusted again.

If you look into any Malware thread you will see tools used to find Rootkits and other Malware that are specifically designed to detect the infections and then other tools are used to remove them. You won't see a standard Anti Virus program used for these purposes. Special training is required to learn how to use these tools as in the wrong hands you can easily make your system unusable.

In conclusion, there is "No best Anti Virus" and it is impossible to give any PC a 100% cast iron protection against infection. Every time you update your Anti Virus there will be new infections out there that your Anti Virus will not detect. It is a game of cat & mouse and the Malware Author's will always be one step ahead.

All you can do is make sure whatever you use that the software is kept up to date and you never turn off Windows Update. Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Attacks exploiting vulnerable programs and plug-ins are rarely blocked by traditional anti-virus and are therefore increasingly "popular" among criminals.

I am approaching the advanced stage in a Malware course that will qualify me to join the Malware Staff. Anyone can sign up for the training which is long and hard, you will be amazed what you will learn about Malware, too much for me to write into this thread. The courses are not designed just so you can protect your own system, they are designed so you can help on the forums, so don't jump into a course unless you are willing to become a helper.
  11. jester376

jester376 TechSpot Member Posts: 53

At the current moment Webroot has topped the antivirus charts, Norton has been on top for a few years but due to its performance flaw on the machine, it has become widely unpopular. Webroot topped Norton this year with fast installations, fast scans, 100% of most malware file blockage, and 94% on malware file removal. Techs were worried that because of its fast scans, it hadn't detected or removed the viruses. However, it did detect all the viruses and removed all of the viruses with only a few junk files left. If you are looking for a good alternative, I highly recommend Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes can be installed with an antivirus on your computer without software interference, however do not run both at the same time, on the account it could cause corrupt windows files. You can find a review chart Here.

12. Mark56

It is extremely unlikely that any Anti Virus can have a 100% blockage success rate, do not believe all you read in test reports as they can often be misleading in order to sell the product. as the report on the Author's site by any chance. Show us a link to the report. If anyone is capable of producing an Anti Virus with a 100% blockage success rate they would put all the other vendors out of business. It simply is not possible to detect and block 100%.

Correct in part but Malwarebytes can safely be run alongside any Anti Virus software. It was designed to compliment Anti Virus software.

The "paid for" version of Malwarebytes is intended to run alongside an active Anti Virus program so that you can take advantage of the Protection Module. The PM uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.
  13. jester376

jester376 TechSpot Member Posts: 53

True. However, I get computers on a weekly basis that have corrupt windows files on it, some even causing a complete windows restore. Most partly due to people trying to scan one thing at the exact same time with more than one program. So I tell people to avoid using more than one program at the same time that does the same job. If you are unsure of whether the first scan was accurate, then use the other programs.

And I edited my post above, it includes a review now. 100% blockage rate would be impossible to say the least. Like you said, it would put other AV companies out of business. It will block a 100% of most virus files.
  14. Mark56

I quite agree if you are referring to a situation of running two Anti Virus programs, that is a known issue and almost bound to cause problems and reduce protection. Two AV's side by side can actually delete each others files, slow the system down and allow more infections to get in the ystem. The main point I was raising is that Malwarebytes was designed to run side by side with Anti Virus software, I was not suggesting it should be used to run a scan at the same time as other security software but it is perfectly safe to have it monitoring the system at the same time as other AV's.

I see the review chart and find some of those figures hard to believe, there are a lot of 100% scores in various sections of the results. The results they give for the Malwarebytes pro version is quite low and should not be there as it was not meant to run on its own, as I have pointed out it is designed to compliment other AV software. You would not rely on an Anti Spyware program for the full protection of a PC and the same applies to Malwarebytes. The free version, not in the review, is used on the vast majority of Malware forums to scan for Malware, that says quite a lot for its ability and reputation.
  15. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 250

keep using kaspersky because it is the best
  16. Mark56

This would appear to be a never ending thread. I found this report which makes interesting reading and was produced only last month: Anti Virus Performance Tests

This would appear to be independent and unbiased, K7 which I have never heard of and Eset seem to come out on top. Interestingly the Eset on-line scanner is frequently used in Malware forums.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.