TechSpot

Best Buy names Hubert Joly as new CEO

By Shawn Knight
Aug 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Best Buy has announced that Hubert Joly, the former head of hospitality and travel company Carlson, will take over as permanent CEO effective September 2012. Joly will replace interim chief G. Mike Mikan who has held the position since April…

Read more

2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I hope they change, maybe actually start to hire people with know-how instead of random Joe Herrera McNguyen, from Clueless Town.

3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 752   +239

Know-how costs money, and that makes the already inflated retail prices even worse. Best Buy and its like have only one thing going for them in today's market: you can walk in and buy whatever they have whenever you feel like it instead of waiting for the delivery guy. However, that's about it for their advantages. Price, selection, even the <I>return policies</I> are typically better with mail order outlets. Its rather sad, because I miss the pre-internet glory days of the malls and department stores. Now it feels like we're just sending all our money straight to China. The only specialty places that seem to be doing OK are the ones whose products really require a hands-on purchasing experience (bridal shops, farm supply outfits, etc). For the other specialty retail businesses, about the only bright spots are bare-bones warehouse stores that don't require stupid memberships. Micro Center comes to mind.

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Boo-flipping-hoo, cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it. I go into a computer store, I expect people who can help me with computers, much like if I go into a butcher shop I expect someone who knows what piece of the cow is which.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.