Best C++ compiler?

Neil010

Hello TechSpotians,
I have a question once again related to C++ programing.

What compiler is the best to start out learnig the language with? While most beginner books recommend Dev-C++ I have heard that most professionals use MS Visual Studio. Also, if Dev-C++ is preferred, should I use Codeblocks instead? I've read that Dev-C++ not being developed anymore and that Codeblocks is much better.

I use Codeblocks. It's just right for a first starter...I suppose you could say that properly using it can be just as daunting as any other if you have no idea of the language.

"Best" is seldomly used in the context of a compiler.
The IDE (development environment) is a big deal, however.

As jobeard mentioned, the C++ compiler is mostly hidden behind the IDE, so when you say "best compiler" did you mean best IDE?
also, the compiler uses libraries, so that is also another point of view to determine "best compiler".

As for educational purposes you can just use whatever you can find free of charge. For example check MS Visual C++ 2010 Express; you can also select Visual C# 2010 express because C# is much easier to learn...
If you want it for embedded development, than the things are getting little bit more complicated.

Back