TechSpot

Best CPU choices for ECS mobo

By pingpongmury
Aug 9, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and would highly appreciate some advise on choosing the best available gaming CPU that will fit in my ECS C51PVGM-GB mobo
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

You would be best off getting this CPU. It's slower than the X2 6400+ which would be faster out of the box, but the Brisbane chip will run cooler and be less power hungry. If you want the fastest available though, I would recommend this CPU.
  3. pingpongmury

pingpongmury TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 108

so the 6400+ is the fastest socket am2 chip available

it runs off the 12V rail right
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Yes, for your motherboard, the X2 6400+ is the fastest available. And yes, it will draw upto 125W from the +12V rail.
  5. pingpongmury

im also running a GPU that draws 425W off the same rail

do i have enough power left to run it
  6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,624

could u please give the specs of the PSU. brand and the wats on how many 12 volt rails?
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

No GPU draws 425W from the +12V rail. The required amperage number given on most video card boxes is for an entire system. You should be fine since it seems you have at least 30+ amps on the +12V rail(s).
  8. pingpongmury

nickc.... the PSU is a Rosewill 550W with two +12V rails each with 18A for a total of 36 total amps across both rails.

any other specs u would need are at this *Link*
  9. Rage_3K_Moiz

You actually have 35A on the +12V rails combined, which is still more than enough for the X2 6400+ and your current GPU.
  10. meridian007

meridian007 TS Rookie

Would the X2 7750+ BE work in this board as well? I've heard that you can OC to get close to the same speed as the 6400+ with it.

I can't find the 6400+ anywhere here (I'm in Thailand) but the 7750+ BE is available. Thanks.
  11. Rage_3K_Moiz

The X2 7750+ is not supported since it is a Phenom chip. Only nForce 700 chips support the Phenom CPUs.

12. meridian007

meridian007 TS Rookie

Even though it's a phenom chip, it's listed as being AM2+ which is physically the same pin out as the AM2. Wouldn't there be a chance of it working?

Is it the FSB? I'm having problems finding info on the mb and this chip. AMD lists the 7750 but not the 7750 BE, I have a feeling that the FSB is the problem.

I've found some other references to using an AM2+ chip in an AM2 board, but the boards were Asus. (I'd link but my post count is too low)

Sorry to be a pain, I wish the 6400+ was available here, I'd just get it... :(
  13. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

the 7750 wont work sorry you need the am2+ board the 6400 is the fastest chip there is for that board.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.