By mretzloff
Mar 21, 2008
  1. Out of the following which would you recommend for Vista:

Kerio
    ZoneAlarm
    Comodo
    Netveda
    Jetico

I'm leaning towards Kerio because I heard Kerio causes the least amount of problems. I can't find Kerio for Vista though, so I'm guessing it's in the works.

I don't want ZoneAlarm, because it slowed my computer down too much.

Any suggestions?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

For now, look at the Firewall list at www.tucows.com. They have been right-on with their evaluations.
    Kerio was terrific, but they may never be able to get it to work right with VISTA

3. ehcraig

ehcraig TS Rookie

I have been using download.com to find my reviews & sure enough, Comodo Firewall is the Editors Choice as well as most of the user reviews. The best part, it is FREE!
    check it out.... ;-)

4. kritius

kritius TS Guru Posts: 2,087

Comodo for me, never had a problem with vista and it.

5. Theophilus23

Theophilus23 TS Rookie

I would recommend against Comodo, if you're a Vista user. The reason is, Comodo blocks some of the Windows Updates, rendering your PC vulnerable to exploits and such. But Comodo is a great firewall, if not for this problem.Well, this is just me, but if you're a person who prioritize security over pc fixes, i suggest you use Comodo.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Easy enough to adjust. You can use the "Custom" feature of Microsoft Updates and the learn feature of Comodo. It has never been a problem for us. We don't like Microsoft's hidden, automatic updates anyway. We like to see what Microsoft is up to, so this gives us a better way to prioritize both fixes and security, which still having some control over VISTA.

7. Theophilus23

Theophilus23 TS Rookie

Hmm you have a point. Actually, Comodo Firewall caused a failure of one update, and as you know, if Microsoft fails to install 1 update, whenever you startup, you'll notice a red pop up notification at your notification area (next to your clock), and that bothers me a lot.....so I uninstalled Comodo, and resort to using BitDefender Total Security.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.