Best Monitor <£160

shiva64

Hi Guys, can you recommend a monitor either 20" or 22" screen. I've noted a couple of Samsungs and Acers.
Suggestions appreciated.

That was a "Pound" sign was it not....?

I can't speak to any country that uses the pound for currency.
But, speaking for the US, it's actually the wrong time of year to get a good price on a display. In my country the "Best Buy" chain of electronics stores drops the prices on monitors drastically during the (later?) summer months.
Last August I purchased 22" Westinghouse (1680 X 1050) for $179.95. I love it. The walk-in, "fool me once shame on you" price is about $279.95 ($249.95 @Newegg) at the present.
I don't know if the exchange rate is favorable enough to come out ahead by having someone buy a screen here and ship it to you, although the US dollar is sinking like a stone at the moment. (There are obviously potential return and warranty issues by doing so).

Anyway,take your time an investigate sales trends, bargain hunt, and bone up on as many reviews as you can.

Besides, if you ask 10 Tech-spotters "which is he best monitor for <160 pounds" you'll likely get at least 8 answers. (BTW, US keyboards don't even have a "Pound" sign).

Just to get the process started, I'm going to say you should look at the Westinghouses. I have 3 of them, all of which I'm very, very happy with. As always your results may vary, as well as other poster's opinions.

Best monitors: Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp, Philips.
Acer is not among the best monitors when you are seeking one with long life and reliability. We would also avoid Envision, ViewSonic, Vizio, and any monitor which offers only a one-year warranty or less.
Any monitor worth its salt will offer a warranty of 3, 4, or 5 years, although you may have to pay extra for it. The extra is worth it. They show their support of their product by the length of their warranty.
We have had amazing luck with LG and Samsung when budget is a consideration.

Thanks guys, yeah i'm in the U.K. Don't think i'll buy from outside the U.K.
I thought Acer was a good make? Bought their laptops, they're great and not heard any major complaints. Definately looking at Samsung, just wanted to get others opinion before i take the plunge as in tech world things change so quickly.

Acer's are fine if they have the long warranty... but they are not in the same league as the ones listed. Acer products in the UK are better than some other countries.

No, the models change too often, and be different in the UK.
If you can, shop in person. The ability to raise or lower the screen is important, as well as the ability to see your images from the right or left angles... such as when you are showing something to a student or co-worker... The cheap ones do not adjust, and do not have screens easily visible from the sides.
And of course the resolution is critical... Decide the maximum resolution you will need . The choices are 640 x 480; 1024 x 768; 1280 x 1024; 1600 X 1200; 1366 X 768; 1680 X 1050; and 1920 X 1200

Each step in resolution usually requires a step up in cost.

Thanks. understand about the resolution and contrast. I might go for one of the Samsungs as they seem to be very popular and well recommended.

Tmagic650 said:
I love my Samsung Syncmaster 245BW...

How much is 160 pounds in US $?

The Samsung 245BW is on sale at Newegg for about $400.00 (after rebate). I don't think our dollar has tanked to $2.50 = 1 Pound Sterling, but it's probably not far off.
The overseas prices are not as attractive as Newegg's, and the last time someone bought this monitor, I think it was closer to $500.00. It does however have a "sterling" reputation though, if you'll pardon the pun.

PS; At the moment, 160 British LBs = about $316.00 US dollars.

Since our poster is seeking a 20" or 22" screen, the price of a Samsung 24" may be moot anyway.

Here's a link to Samsung monitor deals at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSu...1077&SubCategory=20&name=SAMSUNG-LCD-Monitors The 22" screens are about $280.00, well within budget. I'm guessing that the 22"s are as well made as the 24"s, minus some resolution and a couple of other perks.

BTW, why exactly did we ressurrect a two month old thread...?

Back