Best OS to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've finally built a computer that I'm going to "attempt" to play Crysis on at decent fps. I'm hoping to use a mixture of high and very high settings, my biggest desire to see the water effect goodies of very high. I'm not sure though if the "forced" very high water effects look as good on xp as they do on dx 10 on vista or windows 7 though. Anyways, I'm a bit confused as to what would be the best OS for good fps for Crysis. I'm looking at XP 32, XP 64, Vista (64 as well), and Windows 7 beta. I'm sure it'll help to know my specs in order to determine what will work best for me. I plan on OC'ing the CPU to 3.5 and the GPU (not sure how high beyond stock yet), and I'll be using a combo of "Natural Mod" and "Cuban Ultima Doom Sword's" config files as well. Below are my specs (I'm aware I'll probably be bottlenecking myself with the CPU but I'm hoping OC'ing will make it better).

Wolfdale dual core 2.8 Ghz
Sapphire Vapor-X 4890
4 GB DDR2 PC2 6400
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm sure it looks like I don't know what I'm doing or I'm expecting too much with this setup (Later on I'll upgrade CPU or mobo as needed).

Any suggestions on which OS to use greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't know that you will be CPU limited in Crysis, I've got a much weaker C2D and with task man open on my 2nd monitor I never saw CPU rise above about 50%, of course I was playing with lower settings.

Anyway, for straight up glory on how good it looks I'd say right now your best bet is vista, but that will and should be a pretty unpopular suggestion right now with the release of 7 so close. So maybe squeak by with XP or try the RC of 7 until the real 7 comes out.

Use XP/Vista x64

I have heard a lot of ruhmers that 64 bit is supposed to be very very crap for compatibility with other softwares:

supposed to have a lot more errors and crash more or something.

Depending if the game even supports 64 bit?

If you use windows vista then you have the advantage of divex 10 wheras on windows xp only divex9.0 can be used...

Dose the game support 64 bit?
Do you want 10.0 or 9.0 divx (9.0 is awsome but i dont know how good graphics are on crysis....)

Learn from the pros im a newb.,...

You have 4GB ram, you can only achieve max performance with x64. Dont worry, these errors and crashes have long been taken care of ;) If you want to run new gen games, use x64. You won't regret when you see how it performs.

P.S if you currently own XP or vista x86, i recommend you use that and purchase W7 when its released in october.( according to red) :eek:

deanlaing12
I have heard a lot of ruhmers that 64 bit is supposed to be very very crap for compatibility with other softwares:

supposed to have a lot more errors and crash more or something.

that was the case when it first came out, you would be hard pressed to find software you would have a hard time with now. the industry is now,and has been moving to 64 for quite a long time. and 64 bit is the future of computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back