Best PC spec for Linux

Please i want to buy a new system and i want to use linux on it can someone give me the best p.c specs for using linux o.s

hey

Since windows is a dominant in user aspect , what are you going to do with linux ?

How about installing vwware and spend money on something good ;P

Otherwise anything cheap that have a compatible network adapter and touchpad will do ;P

You are right

Yes u re correct but i need to install linux software to enhance my programming ability,but the current system am using does not support linux o.s thats why i need i a system that i can run both XP and Linux

Since windows is a dominant in user aspect , what are you going to do with linux ?

How about installing vwware and spend money on something good ;P

Otherwise anything cheap that have a compatible network adapter and touchpad will do ;P

Such a positive answer... The perception of the sentance "something good" changes from person to person. ;)

Basically, pretty much all computers sold in the last 5-8 years will run Linux.

Spend your money on a decent computer for Windows, and then dual boot it with Linux. If its a separate computer specifically for Linux, any dual core or above PC with 2+GB RAM and 20GB plus of hard disk space will be more than adequate.

Yes u re correct but i need to install linux software to enhance my programming ability,but the current system am using does not support linux o.s thats why i need i a system that i can run both XP and Linux

How or why does your existing computer not support Linux?

If its running Windows XP it can run Linux.

In 99% of distributions the network card is recognised and configured automatically. In 60% of cases the wireless card (if fitted) will require additional drivers in order to work correctly.

Since this is clearly labelled the "alternative OS forum" why are you here spreading fud?

Here's a trip; get Knoppix CD and boot from it.

You can do anything you like w/o installing anything :)

If you're new to Linux (which I'm assuming you are given that you asked where to download it) I would strongly recommend you download Ubuntu from here.

Its ideal for beginners. I also have a how-to guide to installing it once you're ready to commit to it. Just click the link in my signature, below this post.

I find LinuxMint to be my preferred distribution when it comes to Ubuntu based distro's, I even prefer it to Ubuntu itself, but I wouldn't say it was for beginners really.

Neither is Fedora, which can often require additional configuration beyond the capability of newer users.

Ubuntu does indeed get a lot of stick, but in terms of compatibility out of the box, very few distros come close, and it is considerably easier to navigate and "adapt" to than most are.

As most of us experienced realise, most people once they gain experience and understanding of how Linux works will usually move away from Ubuntu, but it can't be beaten for those wishing to be introduced to a easy transition from Windows - The difficulty of that is more often than not the reason so many people try it, and then never successfully move over to Linux; its just too much, too soon for some people.

Its for these reasons I specifically recommend Ubuntu Linux to those new to, or otherwise starting out in using Linux in general.

...The difficulty of that is more often than not the reason so many people try it, and then never successfully move over to Linux; its just too much, too soon for some people...

That and I think a lot of people end up trying it on some old machine that maybe they had laying around, or simply put it on a machine they feel is getting slow in XP now. (A machine that is slow in XP today is probably a machine that ran it well before SP1, SP2, and SP3). So even though you always seem to hear that "linux" runs great on older hardware, the truth (at least in my opinion) is that a modern release of something like Ubuntu probably isn't going to be much if any faster than XP. If you built something from the ground up, like Gentoo, you could probably get it to run pretty well, but thats over the head of a lot of us linux beginners.

So in summary, people try it on older hardware and then are disappointed when it doesn't run like a $2000 build.

Yeah, there is that as well SNGX. :)

Some of the bigger distro's really aren't very light any more, and that has had a big impact on how they run on older hardware.

The problem is those that are, are really only for the intermediate to experienced users and well beyond the capability of a new user to Linux. Slackware is a bloody good example of this.

for older machines of course there are some pretty good out of the box options like puppy and damn small linux. even so there will always be one problem or another, with drivers or lack of infrastructure to run certain apps.

Sony

Get a nice Sony Vaio

I have 4 of them , starting with a 233 Mhz mini vaio from the mid 90's
they all still work, and they all run linux.

I have walked into a sonystyle store before, and the technician told me "dude these machines work better with linux than they do with windoze"

i recommend SONY for LINUX !

(and linux distros, get fedora).

I have an O L D Gatewat P4 which runs 733mhz with a front-side bus that does very well on Linux.
That 233 is really down in the cycle rate and would suspect that a browser would push it to the limits.

I agree 233 is too slow for browsing. I have a P2 350 running Puppy Linux - you don't notice its a 350 much until you open up Firefox. Browsing the web with something that slow makes you feel like you have dialup again.

I agree 233 is too slow for browsing. I have a P2 350 running Puppy Linux - you don't notice its a 350 much until you open up Firefox. Browsing the web with something that slow makes you feel like you have dialup again.
Firefox is too bloated for that machine. Your best bet would be something like Dillo or maybe webkit based browsers like Midori or Epithany. If you can do without flash don't install it (no flash for Dillo anyway AFAIK), the flash plugin alone will probably use most of the CPU.

yes, i have puppy running on an old 600MHz toshiba laptop. midori does a pretty fine job (even flash altho it's pretty slow). not the midori which ships with puppy - that's a bit too stripped down (even by my standards)

only problem is i have not as yet been able to get puppy to turn the fan on when necessary - still working on that...

Back