By JamesPromIII
Nov 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

2. JamesPromIII

JamesPromIII Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 157

I need a Northwood not a Prescott, I just want the best processor with the highest speed so I won't have to upgrade it again
  3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

well if you dont want to have to upgrade again, or im thinking for a long while, you're talking about a new chip set. Even the best p4 for your socket does about 40% of what a mid ranged core 2 duo can do.
  4. JamesPromIII

JamesPromIII Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 157

The problem with that is I don't have the money for a new motherboard and new chipset, operating system, case and what not. I just want a P4 at it's peak for a socket 475 mpga...the ones i've seen are at 3.06 but have HT technology which I don't think my motherboard has.
  5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Really, it's better to just save up some extra cash and go for a whole new system. I have a low end Core 2 Duo for socket 775, and if I disabled one core and underclocked the CPU by about 40%, it would still probably be faster than the fastest P4s on socket 478.

You can get a new motherboard, new CPU, 2 GB of RAM for about 180 dollars if you know where to look. Or at least I can in my town, and I pay in Canadian dollars.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.