Best Privacy-First Cloud Storage Services

I'm experimenting with proton drive(beta) for encrypted cloud storage. Simple interface, slow upload speeds. But it comes with the VPN and email service package.

I'm experimenting with proton drive(beta) for encrypted cloud storage. Simple interface, slow upload speeds. But it comes with the VPN and email service package.
I also use proton and their e-mail and so far I have liked it a lot.

I think it would be good to add if any of these services (other than Nextcloud since it's selfhosted) have passed any auditing of their claims. It's all well and good to market yourself as a secure alternative to Google Drive. However, without a third party audit, you're gonna have to just take them at their word.

How is it possible to have zero knowledge of the encryption scheme that YOU created ? Hmmmmmmm? We have found far too many instances of fraud only AFTER all of the users data has been compromised by criminals

In this brave new ZERO TRUST environment, we know for a fact that all of these schemes have backdoor access..... Annnnnnd HOW do we know that they all have backdoors for a fact?

Easy... They won't show us the source code!
Put Up or Shut Up!
See what I did there?

They all have backdoors For a FACT! (without any evidence)
Kinda like what they did claiming their scheme is secure (without any evidence)

Last edited:
Something I always wonder when looking at online storage is why they never test upload and download speeds. It seems like a pretty obvious and important factor.

That "might" work if "your" encryption is not closed source, backdoored or already cracked

How did you verify the security of your own encryption?
All files are encrypted three times with three different encryptions using three different open source programs and all encryptions have different passwords.

Pretty confident at least one of them is not backdoored.

What is there to believe? I use cloud for long term storage purposes so no problem using some time for encryption.

Ciphers used Twofish 256, Serpent 256 and AES-256.

Wow, you must have one hell of a photo collection, to worry about all that encryption....

Wow, you must have one hell of a photo collection, to worry about all that encryption....
First I wanted to figure out good use for my new multi-core CPU. Also since that's long term storing, no need to worry even if NSA could break AES encryption sometime. Serpent and Twofish should hold still.

For less important data, I tend to use AES-256 since it's much faster.

Back